cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installed - Please answer my concerns - Now answered :)

njay
Grafter

Fibre installed - Please answer my concerns - Now answered :)

Well OR engineer arrived to check some was in as I didn't hear the phone (playing Xbox waiting lol)
Disappeared for 40mins and then came and did the install 10mins tops.
Expected 64/20mbits
Actual 50/18mbits (speed test.net)
Hmm will that likely go up during 10 days?
Have to say I do actually suspect the install as the existing open reach master socket was not touched and when I said I want plusnet router in office he said fine and plugged both in the office telephone extension.  I queried no fibre faceplate and using existing wiring and told that limits where the modem goes if filtered at the master socket. What about data cable. Well that's a longer job and won't affect the speed.
So I guess this is my placeholder for 10days time when its unlikely to have gone up, move the modem to the master, hopefully find its faster and then looking to get another engineer out to do it right lol. Having taken half a days holiday I am unlikely to be impressed having to effectively spend more of my own money taking more time off should that be the case.
Short answer. In hind sight disappointed.
Edit: it occurred to me this morning that as the OR engineer didn't fit a fibre faceplate, once 10day training is over, I can't actually move the OR modem to the master socket without using the existing adsl filter that its currently plugged into as the only lead i have is the RJ11 to RJ11 one that used to be plugged into my adsl router. He quite literally unplugged my old adsl router and plugged the OR modem into all the existing wiring.
So my setup is
Nt5e Box with two extensions running off back of faceplate. Nothing plugged into front.
one extension runs to office 7m away over flat (not twisted pair) cable and terminates at a socket with fly lead style adsl filter plugged in
Into phone socket on adsl filter is a Phone socket splitter for skybox and phone.
into adsl socket on adsl filter is existing adsl modem lead plugged with OR modem plugged into that
The extension from nt5e box runs over 10m (round telephone cable - unsure if twisted pair) to front room socket also with fly lead style adsl filter plugged in for 2nd skybox.
Whilst I guess using the adsl filter straight into the test socket should be equivalent to fibre faceplate (I.e. splitting fibre and voice at master socket), its frustrating not getting what I feel is the full install as in principle all the cabling from faceplate onwards is mine so could be introducing noise. Also at best we (plusnet and i) are missing a fttc faceplate that costs £15 and at worse a data extension cable install both of which have been paid for Sad
20 REPLIES 20
njay
Grafter

Re: Fibre installed - questions though

Ok just been trawling the net and OR engineer not fitting faceplate etc has happened to others. It's not correct and they should have done it right as others have had to get their ISP to get OR out again to do it correctly.
There is supposedly a fttc self install trial to allow different non OR modem or even combined vsdl/router etc to be used but that and vsdl faceplate should be sent to customer before switch over.
So I have been the subject of a lazy OR engineer  Angry
njay
Grafter

Re: Fibre installed - questions though

OK, another update.
yesterday evening the response seemed slow so I did a speedtest.net to find results had taken a nosedive and were coming back with 10Mbits down but still 17up. It hit as low as 5mbits down at one point in the evening Sad
Ran BTw checker and that came back with a 8mb down but said my profile was 52.8 and asked me to do a tap3? test at which point I aborted as I am not going about changing login details (not sure you can on Fibre?)
Rechecked this morning with speedtest.net and now get 40Mb down and 24Mb up!!! What on earth is going on.
Just checked my profile on my Plusnet account and it says
Estimated line speed:
64Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-13 00:50:03
Current line speed:
52.8 Mb
So I assume its not been updated since last check early Saturday morning?
I am decidely frustrated at the moment. Do I resite the OR modem to the master socket using the ADSL filter its plugged into on my internal wiring or should I be raising a fault as install is not up to spec due to no vsdl faceplate and running on flat cable to my extension socket where the OR modem is plugged into the ADSL microfilter?
Help Sad
njay
Grafter

Re: Fibre installed - Please answer my concerns

So please anyone. I appreciate this is in no way PN's fault but should I be raising this installation as a fault to get it corrected Huh
picbits
Rising Star

Personally I'd obtain a VSDL2 faceplate and do the job properly. I'd put the faceplate onto the master socket, disconnect any extension wiring temporarily and run the modem on that socket to see what speeds are achievable.
Having watched the OR engineer put my VDSL faceplate on (literally just plugging it in and popping the screws in), I don't think it's rocket science  Grin
You might even be able to bribe a chap in a "big white van" with a tenner and the excuse that you've damaged your existing one - just make sure they give you the screws to go with it Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi njay,
Really sorry about the delay in replying to you here. Your contract has been changed and I've passed your ticket through to our faults team to get the installation sorted out - unfortunately it has to be raised as a fault because the order is now closed off. We will make sure it's sorted out for you though.
Hope that helps, we'll keep you posted.
njay
Grafter

@Picbits
I am have no concerns over sorting the wiring out or fitting a VDSL2 faceplate myself (would even do the data extension cable given the go ahead as that's not hard either). I was mored concerned with disconnecting the OR modem prior to any go ahead from PN staff and flagging this dubious work up as Openreach should have done it right and correcting it at their cost not mine or PlusNet's Smiley
@Matt Taylor
Cheers for picking up on this and hopefully the faults team will get it resolved Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Fingers crossed you get it sorted easily either way Smiley
njay
Grafter

Re: Fibre installed - Please answer my concerns - Now answered :)

Well different OR engineer turned up this morning and couldn't have been more different
I explained the lack of VDSL2 plate and extension and where I would like it to go. I even gave him the option of relocating OR modem to master and I would run a cat5e back to it. He said "No, lets get it how you want it"
So he then spent the next 2hours doing the following
Ran extension cable (thicker than the cat5e I proposed LOL) from existing master socket location to office (this took a lot of the time given the room is beyond two walls lol)
Fitted NEW master socket along with VSDL2 plate in office
A separate cable from new master runs back to the old master socket which is now a slave) as he felt this was better than running it back down a 2nd twisted pair in the new extension wiring
Ran loads of tests and the results look promising as IP profile has gone from 52.8 to 64.8 Smiley
Just needs PlusNet's system to pick up the change and hopefully my speedtest.net results will increase as still pegged at lower speed Wink
So fingers crossed my problems have been solved Smiley

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Glad to hear that it went so well(as it should).
Your profile is now matching, let me know how you get on.
njay
Grafter

Do I have to do anything my end i.e. drop the connection from router to OR modem as its exactly the same speed as previously Crazy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The PPP session will need to disconnect/reconnect. Changing the profile on our side normally forces that to happen but if it doesn't then there's no harm in logging in to the router and disconnecting/reconnecting/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
njay
Grafter

OK see you on the other side Smiley
njay
Grafter

And I am back.
I could see that the connection had been up for nearly 7hrs (there was a power cut at lunchtime affecting the school at the end of our road that momentarily knocked the phones out too - Southern Electric big digger there at the moment LOL) so the recent resync hadn't dropped the connection.
Anyway scores on the doors are  Cool

Cheers for your help guys. Now to see if they can get my pro rata payment right in billing  Smiley
njay
Grafter

Well, Plusnet updated the ticket to say they have got the engineer's report and having checked the line themselves they have confirmed its now resolved.
Gave me a Radius chart and it looks like DLM is happy as IP profile has jumped once yesterday and another today and is now sat at 77.44Mbps Smiley
Despite dropping the PPP session the speedtest.net result is no higher than post from a few days ago but hey its about what they estimated. Might try doing a direct PC connection to the OR modem once 10days I finally up just to see if its any different but over all very pleased now.
Oh, and billing sorted the Pro rata payment out too Wink