cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installation: supplied Ethernet cable length?

MrDodge
Hooked

Fibre installation: supplied Ethernet cable length?

Hi,
The Openreach engineer is due tomorrow to fit fibre at my place.  Can someone please tell me how long the supplied Ethernet cable will be?
I mean the one that connects my computer to the router. I'd prefer to run a cable rather than use wireless, and I'm hoping for at least a 5m length,
but expecting more like 2m. Does the engineer offer a longer cable? it would be handy to know in advance if I need to buy a longer cable.
The router will be the standard Plusnet one, a Technicolor TG582n, I suppose.
thanks in advance,
Mr Dodge
3 REPLIES 3
paulg123
Grafter

Re: Fibre installation: supplied Ethernet cable length?

Very short lol u get a longer one to connect the router to the BT modem and a second one that goes from the router to your device but its about 0.5metre in length so I'd order one for your needs as the BT engineer doesn't offer any or are obliged to supply one as they are just installing the service
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If the Master socket is not in a convenient place especially if there is no adjacent power socket for the Modem, you can ask for a Data extension cable/socket to be fitted by the engineer which will place the RJ11 socket for the Modem where you want (within 30m) if that helps as well.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@MrDodge
If you find yourself needing a longer cable, ethernet isn't too costly and is readily available from lots of places. Powerline adapters are good solution favored by many (including myself) in case the computer is a long distance from the router.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team