cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre installation question....

jtcedinburgh

Fibre installation question....

Hi folks.
When the engineer turns up to install fibre, where do they typically locate the fibre modem? 
My current DSL install has the master socket in one room, from which I have a phone cable which runs around the wall and through a small hole into the room my router is in.  I'd like to find out whether the engineer will want to locate the modem near the master socket (with a trailing CAT5/6 to the router, I presume) OR do they locate the modem near the router (with a trailing cable of some other sort between the master phone socket and the fibre modem).
Also, if it's the former, will the engineer run the cable for me?  I don't mind running some ethernet cable myself to save time, as I know from past experience that engineers can be a bit jobsworth Wink
ta
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Fibre installation question....

The installation will be adjacent to the master wicket (where there needs to be a vacant power sickest).  You can request at the time of ordering for a data extension be installed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jtcedinburgh,
As Townman has outlined, the fibre modem will be set up directly to the master socked (without any extensions) in order to obtain the correct speeds. As for the fibre router (which connects to the modem) this can be located anywhere as long as you have a long enough ethernet cable to connect between the two.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Adam,
We both seem to have finger (or predictive text) issues typing "socket".
Might I ask clarification of your answer?  If - for example there is no power near the master socket (many are installed behind front doors) - does the option of a "data extension" (requested at the time of ordering) permit the install action of the MODEM somewhere else albeit with the possibility if degraded speed?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The "data extension" is supposed to be a cat 5 type cable which can be used to connect a new master socket 'up to 30m' from the original, a second pair would then typically be used to route the voice connection back to the original socket (which becomes an extension) while the new master is fitted with the data/voice faceplate.
Any performance decrease should be limited to (or less than) that which would result from being a similar distance further from the cabinet.  In practise few data extensions will be as long as 30m so performance drops should be minimal.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.