cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install due today (1st March) - no BTOR engineer here yet!

windsortg
Grafter

Fibre install due today (1st March) - no BTOR engineer here yet!

I'm due to have fibre broadband installed today and waiting very excitedly for the BTOR engineer to arrive. It's 10:20am now but no sign of the engineer. I believe he can show up at any time between 8am - 1pm. Would he normally call to say he is on his way? Is there a way for me to check?
I am going to be on a 80/20 profile. Is there a way from me to check things while the BTOR engineer is here (assuming he shows up!) so that I am on the maximum speed that I should be and everything is working as it should be?
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Fibre install due today (1st March) - no BTOR engineer here yet!

Mine called me at around 12:40pm on the day of install saying he was at the cabinet and my line would go down for a couple of minutes.
Not all engineers have the decency to call (or even turn up !) but fingers crossed you'll get a good install  Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

They are suppose to according to their manual:
We all know how frustrating it is to be sitting at home waiting for a delivery or some sort of engineer visit. If you give advance notice of the time you’re going to arrive it means the end user can pop to the shop or even walk the dog. So, when you’ve picked up the job, ring ahead to let the end user know you’re coming. Leave a message if you don’t get an answer. Do warn them that their existing broadband will be out of action (if they have it already) until the new installation is complete, and that their voice service will have a short outage while you carry out work at the cabinet in X mins (estimate when you think you will actually be doing the jumpering). Give an estimated time of arrival and ask them to confirm  that there will be someone there to let you in.
Bright
Grafter

And he should test the line and install a VDSL plate on your master socket. The BTOR contractor who installed mine didn't bother with any of that, just turned up, plugged in the modem, checked the lights came on and disappeared again. So, worth checking he runs the tests and ask him to verify what sync speed you should be able to achieve.
windsortg
Grafter

This is what I currently have fitted - an NTE-2005 faceplate (type of ADSL faceplate)
Still not heard anything from the engineer  Kiss
Bright
Grafter

This page explains quite well how the VDSL intermediate plate works:
http://www.clarity.it/vdsl_nte5_adaptor_faceplate.htm
lonespeaker
Grafter

Quote from: windsortg
I'm due to have fibre broadband installed today and waiting very excitedly for the BTOR engineer to arrive. It's 10:20am now but no sign of the engineer. I believe he can show up at any time between 8am - 1pm. Would he normally call to say he is on his way? Is there a way for me to check?
I am going to be on a 80/20 profile. Is there a way from me to check things while the BTOR engineer is here (assuming he shows up!) so that I am on the maximum speed that I should be and everything is working as it should be?

Good luck with your install.  Mine was due yesterday and there was no engineer visit - in fact the order was rejected the day before and I wasn't informed.  If I were you, ring plusnet and ask them to check the order is still on for today.
windsortg
Grafter

In fact I've just been on the phone to Plusnet. My order has been REJECTED because for some reason my current provider, O2, has put a cease on the line! The line gets ceased today so a new fibre broadband order will be placed on Monday/Tuesday and I have to wait to see when the next available date is for BTOR engineer to come and install the fibre!
UNBELIEVABLE!! If I had not rung, I would be none the wiser!
Bright
Grafter

I think I'd be phoning O2 and shouting at them! Unless you told them you wanted to cease your service, rather than just asking for a MAC...
windsortg
Grafter

i had received the MAC code. I've just been on the phone to O2 and they do not cease the line. It is all done by BT (according to o2). Someone is telling be porkies!