cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install completed, appear to be provisioned 40/10

Method0ne
Grafter

Fibre install completed, appear to be provisioned 40/10

Up and running with fibre as of the 29th, speeds/connection seem fairly stable except for one dropout early Thursday morning (around 4-5am) which resulted in a 20mbit connection, tried to run the bt faults checker but couldn't, so in trying to work out what was going on I switched routers to the plusnet supplied one, by which time the connection was back to normal again anyway.
From what I can tell based on the data I can see (speedtests) I appear to be provisioned on 40/10 though the engineer never mentioned anything about this during the install, and from the estimates given my line probably isn't capable of much better than what I currently get, but surely even if that's the case, I'm paying for the 80/20 that fibre unlimited connections offer so my ip profile shouldn't be set at the lower 40/10 rates regardless.
As an aside, if I'm on the 80/20 setting and upgrades occur with local wiring then my speeds should increase, whereas if I'm left on the 40/10 and upgrades occur, I'd never be any the wiser unless I continually checked in with customer support to find out.
Certainly not complaining though, as with my adsl connection before, the estimates given for the fibre connection were lowballed, the only difference now is that I have no manual control over anything such as snr targets etc.
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre install completed, appear to be provisioned 40/10

Hi Method0ne,
You have been provisioned on 40/10 but it isn't by mistake as both the estimate for up and downstream for yourself are below those speeds.
We could try an upgrade to 80/20 speeds but to be honest that's unlikely to make a difference.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Method0ne
Grafter

Whether it'd make a difference or not isn't really what I was getting at, if I stay on 40/10 and there are line/cab upgrades done which might increase the speeds I get, I wouldn't see any difference, yet if I'm on 80/20 I most likely would.
Also since I don't actually have a way of manually checking stats since the modem is locked down, I have no real idea of what my actual connection/line is capable of, all I have to go on is what speedtest say.
Either way, even if my connection isn't capable of higher speeds, it makes no difference whether it's 40/10 or 80/20 unless you're going to charge me less for the lower rate Wink
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Method0ne,
I can confirm that your estimated speeds are below 40/10 hence why Adam has stated that increasing you to 80/20 capable speeds will unlikely make any difference.
Nevertheless, I've placed the order to modify your connection to allow speeds up to 80/20 and this should complete on 06/05/2014 (due to the bank holiday). Do let us know if this makes any difference at all.
And to clarify, we wouldn't charge any different if it's 40/10 or 80/20 in this instance. You are paying more because you're on Unlimited Fibre, if you downgraded to Essentials then you'd pay less Wink This is regardless of what your speed estimates are.
Method0ne
Grafter

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on it.
The thing about the charging was a bit of fun on my part, though I do wonder sometimes why people with slower connections pay the same as those with much faster ones.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Because you're paying for the usage, not the speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

...and if you were charged by speed, BT revenues would be much lower or they would have to spend more on rectifying their poor infrastructure to justify charging those receiving low speed performance the same as those receiving high speed performance.
Which ever way you look at the status quo, those on low speeds are paying proportionately more than those on high speeds - those on high speeds can attain a higher level of usage in a given time than those on low speeds - the ability to consume is a function of attainable speed.  Many people are not able to use heavy usage services (view on demand) because their line (essentially the d-side) is simply not up to delivering the required speeds error free.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Method0ne
Whether it'd make a difference or not isn't really what I was getting at, if I stay on 40/10 and there are line/cab upgrades done which might increase the speeds I get, I wouldn't see any difference, yet if I'm on 80/20 I most likely would.

Line/cab upgrades aver very unlikely to give you any higher speed as the restricting factor will be the length of the line from you to the cabinet (FTTC speeds drop off more quickly with distance than ADSL speeds).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

BTWholesale does charge ISPs more for 80/20 than 40/10 or 40/2, (£16, £14, £13) but for whatever reason Plusnet doesn't pass on the difference to the customer.
chrcoluk
Grafter

the wholesale price of 40/10 is lower than 80/20, that is the obvious reason plusnet are ordering the slower package for lower estimates, to me this is morally wrong, as they selling a up to 80/20 service.
the speedtest is 36mbit so I am confident in saying he has a 39999 sync, as to how much margin he has above that no idea without modem stats, but his speed will probably go higher when the line order is activated.
in addition one such cabinet upgrade that can bump up speeds signficiantly is vectoring which openreach are currently trialling. Wink
AndyH
Grafter

The biggest cost for Plusnet is the BT Wholesale bandwidth charge - this is what you're paying for when you choose Essentials vs Unlimited.
The Unlimited package is a up to 76Mbps, which is exactly what is sold. If you cannot get more than 40Mbps, there is nothing wrong with them provisioning you on the 40/10Mbps service. I suppose the only complaint you could have is if the upload speed could be higher on 80/20Mbps (I have no idea if you can get more than 10Mbps if your maximum potential download speed is 40Mbps).
Mandoo
Dabbler

Linn/Adam, are you able to check the provision for my account please? I'm getting 40/20-ish but the estimates I've seen for my line seem to be closer to 80/20. If I could get a faster d/l it'd be great, but what I've currently got is pretty good so it's not essential.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
The biggest cost for Plusnet is the BT Wholesale bandwidth charge - this is what you're paying for when you choose Essentials vs Unlimited.
The Unlimited package is a up to 76Mbps, which is exactly what is sold. If you cannot get more than 40Mbps, there is nothing wrong with them provisioning you on the 40/10Mbps service. I suppose the only complaint you could have is if the upload speed could be higher on 80/20Mbps (I have no idea if you can get more than 10Mbps if your maximum potential download speed is 40Mbps).

which is the biggest cost depends on the user.  Ultimately if the user is only using bandwidth off peak they have no BT wholesale bandwidth charge as what determines the cost of that is peak time demand.
Plus if plusnet are doing this across thousands of customers the savings soon add up.
There is abssolutely no reason for plusnet to provision 80/20 customers on 40/10 other than to save money, unless the customer has requested it for some reason.
How do plusnet know what a customer can get until they live? the estimate is often off by 10s of megabit's and it can be off in either direction either under estimated or over estimated, sorry andy but this is a bad post from you, a speed estimate isnt a cap on the service its just an estimate.
I hope the OP posts back after the line is uncapped so we see how much his line was throttled by the 40/10 provisioning.
AndyH
Grafter

I disagree with you on this one.
Plusnet don't sell a 80/20Mbps and 40/10Mbps service, they sell a up to 76Mbps with unlimited usage and up to 38Mbps with 40Gb monthly usage. This is an important difference.
If you order the unlimited up to 76Mbps service and cannot get more than 40Mbps due to the line restrictions, then it does not matter what PN provision you on because it will not make a difference to your speeds at the moment. If you can get higher than 40Mbps, then PN should provision you on 80/20Mbps.
In the OPs case, it looks like he can get more than 40Mbps. So PN should re-provision him on 80/20Mbps. I don't disagree with this.

chrcoluk
Grafter

Andy apply some common sense here.
First of all you fussing over 4mbit, 76 vs 80 cosmetic difference in the point of this discussion.
Second plusnet do not know if a line can do over 40mbit or not until its live.  They may have a more reliable guess if they know the speed from previous isp (if migration) or the estimate is extremely low e.g. below 20mbit. So provisioning a line that has no previous data on their own systems as 40/10 is simply wrong on the upto 76mbit service.
If a line initially syncs below 40mbit and then they regrade it to 40/10 after, then that has some justification as long as they aware on vectoring rolling out they would have to reevaluate.
You are basically stating plusnet are ok to throttle a line at 40mbit/sec on the up to 76mbit product, the ASA actually disagree with you on this one, throttling such as that is not allowed on unlimtied products.
I know off lines with an estimate of 60mbit syncing at 30mbit and lines with an estimate of 20 syncing at 50mbit, the estimate is far from reliable.
Of course plusnet know they wrong hence they put in a reorder on BTw to put the line on 80/20.
dick:quote