cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre estimated at 64Mb, only receiving 9Mb

gjmartin

Fibre estimated at 64Mb, only receiving 9Mb

New customer with Plusnet, and my Unlimited Fibre was installed a couple of days ago and I have not seen any speeds above 9Mb, is there a period of time for the speeds to increase, or should I have the maximum from day 1?
I've tried a wired & wireless connection and various speed test sites, even test downloading actual files (thinkbroadband.co.uk speedtest) and a 1GB file takes 15 minutes to download. A friend who live on the other side of the country using BT Fibre downloads the same file in under 3 minutes.
The profile on the Plusnet site says that my current line speed is 78Mb, but I don't see any of that.  I have not tried restarting the FTTC modem or router as I don't want to interfere with the 10 day training period.
Could somebody from Plusnet please have a look and see if anything shows up on their side?
Thanks,
Gavin
5 REPLIES 5
All4One
Grafter

Re: Fibre estimated at 64Mb, only receiving 9Mb

10 day training period...but mine was similar for first couple days, down at 7.7Mbps then jumped up to estimated speeds.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This a myth - There is no 10 day training period for FTTC
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=10513.0
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Run the BT speed test. When the first pass completes run the Further Diagnostics (button at the bottom) and post back the full information that provides please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gjmartin

Thanks everyone,
When I got home I tried running the BT Speedtest, and it reported the download as 9Mb/s and the upload as 8Mb/s, I started the further test, and sure enough it reported the same as well as my line profile of 71Mb/s. Stupidly I did not copy the results I just clicked to start the next test, this meant changing the username of the login to the BT speedtest one. I did this but when I went to start the next test it kept coming up with DNS problems and wouldn't connect to the webpage/Tap3 test. I changed the router username and password back to the Plus.net one and tried to get my router to reconnect to the Internet. I got stuck in a loop and wouldn't connect, end results is that I unplugged and replugged the router and FTTC modem. When they came back up straight away I noticed the Lan1 LED on the FTTC modem flashing a lot quicker, andsure enough running the BT Speedtest again I now get 69Mb/s download and 18Mb/s upload  Smiley
I've tried to get to that Test2 of the BT Speedtest, but everytime I put in my phone number it keeps trying to run test3/Tap3, and it refuses to run when I change the router login to what is recommended, DNS Errors!
But I'm happy for the moment, I didn't want to unplug and replug stuff because I was worried about the 'training period', thanks for confirming it is all a myth.
I should have tried power cycling the router and modem anyway before posting.
Thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

rebooting the router probably updated the Plusnet profile as shown here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed