Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection setup – questions

dobbin
Dabbler

Re: Fibre connection setup – questions

Getting there.
Looks like my setup will be RJ11 cable from the master socket to the modem ( will hopefully fasten on wall in the hall) and then use the RJ45 cable I already have from the hall to the study to the router.
Just one piece I do not understand – RJ11 cable is basically telephone wire. Assume the new fitting on the master socket caters for the RJ11 connection and there is also another slot for the ordinary telephone connection. 
Does that sound right?
knowdice
Rising Star

Yes, RJ11 plus normal Phone on master socket.
Keeping the modem close to the master is the best way to go performance wise  Cheesy
There have been a few reports about the BT modem failing, mostly associated with running hot.
So if you can get the BT engineer to install and power that up first... Roll_eyes
dobbin
Dabbler

Knowdice,  Many thanks.
I can now get my head around it and understand the process. The hour or so on the forum has proved above expectation - thanks to all for the help received.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: knowdice
There have been a few reports about the BT modem failing, mostly associated with running hot.
Mine ran much too warm for my liking when I first got it, since mounting it vertically on the side of a cupboard it is much cooler.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

If it really is an RJ11 cable from Master socket to fibre modem then in my case I'm in a pretty good position - I already have a telephone cable extension going to the right place: it just doesn't have RJ11 plugs on the end. Of course I'll have to stop using it for the telephone but I can do something temporary to get around that.
Will report back once the engineer has been... next Wednesday.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

AxeMurderer,
I'll make sure we keep an eye out for your reply.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AxeMurderer
Grafter

So, a slightly unexpected, but not unwelcome, outcome...
What BT have actually done is install a new master socket where my extension socket was, and have rewired the old master socket so that it simply connects their incoming line to my old extension wiring. They then tested and said that I was getting the full rate available.
So I don't need, and didn't get, a data extension cable. But I now believe that a data extension cable is nothing more than a normal telephone extension cable with RJ11 connectors on each end; it is a flat cable that isn't even twisted pair.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks for that update. It bodes well for my situation that if/when the time comes there seems to be scope for reusing existing (but still new in my case) wiring as long as it meets the need.
Mathew
markg140
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
No, they don't relocate the master socket, they can provide a data extension kit to locate the modem up to 30m from it.

No they don't I requested one, one wasn't brought.

Apprently they have none in the country.
Engineers words not mine.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

AxeMurderer,
Glad to hear things have improved. Just to add my two penn'orth I'd by far recommend using wireless or a long ethernet cable over using a long RJ11 cable.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Adam,
Forgive the pedantry but can you be a more specific as there's no such thing as an 'ethernet cable' or an 'RJ11 cable'. The ambiguity could lead to different interpretations over what you are actually trying to say.
Mathew
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Adam,
Not sure that wireless solutions exist. We are talking here about the data (extension) cables that go from Master socket to BT Fibre modem. Which I strongly suspect are no more than a conventional telephone extension cable with conventional RJ11 plugs on the end.
As it happens, I have already replaced the fairly short cable that is provided as standard with one about twice the length as that allows me to position the modem slightly more conveniently. I'd actually prefer to use a longer cable still; I don't own any longer cables with RJ11 plugs so may well make my own using Cat5.

As a curious sidenote, as BT are now using MY extension cable to get the outside line to the new master socket, presumably I now can't touch it i.e. it has become THEIRS. Which would also mean they are responsible for it...
dobbin
Dabbler

Hi Axemurderer,
Pleased it all worked out.
As a matter of interest which router did you use – was the supplied Netgear or your Billion 7800n.  And how was it get it going OK.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

@dobbin
I used my own Billion 7800N. The supplied Netgear is still in its shrinkwrap.
I've added exactly what I did to another thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94917.0.html . If you have a Billion and want even more detail I have screenshots that I can send you (once I've edited my connection details out). Ask if you need any guidance.
dobbin
Dabbler

AxeMurderer,
Yet to get to the ordering stage but will soon. 
The info is spot on and will be very helpful - thanks.