cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection setup – questions

dobbin
Dabbler

Fibre connection setup – questions

Thinking of changing to Plusnet Fibre value which is available on my line but my wife does not want wires and boxes littering the hallway where the BT master socket is situated.  Yes I know..... 
Currently from the master socket in the hall I have the phone on a hall desk and a RJ45 cable running, about 3 metres, from the BT socket under the floor boards to a study room where my desktop computer situated – have a Billion router/modem installed – and this operates the desk computer and a laptop by wireless around the house. 
1.    What, under this setup, is the minimum gear I need in the hallway to operate fibre with Plusnet.
2.  Can I use the current RJ45 cable to move either/both the fibre router or modem into the study room.
2. Looking at the Plusnet installation guide the router and modem are separate items. Can this be changed to one item workable item such as the Billion 7800n router/modem which I well prepared to purchase. 
3.    Do I have to have the Plusnet provided router and modem – nothing against Plusnet but providers don’t usually provide the best available gear.     

Grateful for any help.
29 REPLIES 29
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Fibre connection setup – questions

It is my understanding that BT can relocate your master socket to a more convenient location for you.  You should be able to use your own router but not your own modem.  Obviously if I'm incorrect I'm happy to be corrected Smiley
/edit - they will fit an extension not relocate the master socket.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, they don't relocate the master socket, they can provide a data extension kit to locate the modem up to 30m from it.
knowdice
Rising Star

It's possible to use your own single box router/modem but you will need one that supports VDSL.
Draytek 2750 and FRITZ!Box WLAN 7390 are know to work but are expensive, also, there is a question to to whether BT are OK with this... Cry
phil4
Grafter

I think the data extension kit, is an RJ45 cable....  Assuming this, they'll change the master socket and no more needs to be in the hallway.  
If that doesn't work out, BT will supply a modem, close to the master socket, which needs mains.  You can then run a network cable whereever  you like.  A seperate router is needed, but that can be whereever you need.
There are currently no VDSL2 modems offered by PN, though it appears they are slowly coming to the market.  Whether they'll be compatible is unknown, as apparently there are chipset matching issues to be wary of.
You don't have to use the PN supplied router, but whatever you use must be capable of routing and PPPoE, and have a WAN network socket (not RJ45/phone).  Many current combined Router & Modem devices won't work.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI dobbin,
As KevinG says you can have a data extension kit of up to 30m installed so no need for equipment in the hall. You have to use the BT supplied modem and they don't supply a modem/router either. You don't have to use our router but you must take it as part of the product.
Jojo Smiley
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Hi Dobbin
I am in a similar situation: my master socket is in a location that is not suitable for the fibre modem to live in; and I have a Billion 7800N ADSL modem/router that I plan to use (just as a router) - though I'll start with the Plusnet -supplied Netgear.
I'm hoping the BT engineer can get a data extension cable to where I want it. I'll let you know how I get on.
dobbin
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. Getting a better understanding. 
Looking at the Plusnet site the data extension kit (from master socket) of up to 30m which can be installed has drawbacks.  Basically nailed along the skirting board with nothing put through walls, under floors or carpets etc.  Would be a messy job at my home.  AM – hope you are better placed for the installation of the extension wire - will look to see how you get on.
Phil4 – Yes, for internet data a RJ45 is used, and unless there is a bureaucratic reason for BT not to use it this would suit me fine.  Would give me the modem and router in my study and leave the hallway clear. Thanks.
I need better reception for my laptop in the house and my research leads me to the Billion 7800n which has good reviews on wireless reception. Jojo says I have to use the BT modem but the router is at my discretion.
Reading the Billion 7800n details there is a separate connection for the likes of a BT fibre modem - may seem a bit over the top to get the Billion 7800n but it is results over time that count.  Roll on the day when one piece modem/router does a high class job. 
knowdice
Rising Star

If you need the BT modem in your study then it's an RJ11 cable...
Sounds like BT extend the Ethernet (RJ45) side of the modem.
As above both Draytek 2750 and AVM Fritz!box support integrated modem/router...wait a couple more months and there will be a load more...probably including Billion...
dobbin
Dabbler

Knowdice.
Just to get this clear in my mind - from the BT master socket which is first in the chain.  Is it master socket to  modem to router and what cable type connects which? Or is it another way? 
Until your post ( thanks) was thinking the RJ45 cable would run from the master socket to the study where the modem and router could be connected.  Not sure now of the order of connection.
May hang on, like you say, for the integrated modem/router you mention.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: knowdice
Sounds like BT extend the Ethernet (RJ45) side of the modem.

that's not the case...
[quote=http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/fibre/fibre_install.shtml#preparing]If your master socket isn't in a convenient place (e.g. if there are no nearby power outlets or it's in a garage or attic), the engineer can fit a data extension cable. This will allow you to install the BT fibre modem up to 30m away from your master socket.
Jojo Smiley
phil4
Grafter

My own install is:
Master socket -> RJ11 -> Modem -> RJ45 -> Router.
So if Jojo and Knowdice say extension is the RJ11, then the modem and router that go elsewhere.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: dobbin
Looking at the Plusnet site the data extension kit (from master socket) of up to 30m which can be installed has drawbacks.  Basically nailed along the skirting board with nothing put through walls, under floors or carpets etc.

[quote=installation guide]Bear in mind that the engineer can pin the cable to a skirting board and door frames but may not be able to drill holes in your walls or run it under carpets
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: knowdice
As above both Draytek 2750 and AVM Fritz!box support integrated modem/router...wait a couple more months and there will be a load more...probably including Billion...

From what I've read in the Fibre Trials forum, the Modem is heavily tied into BT's fibre network (it's not even classed as VDSL2 but Ethernet something or another) so you have to use the BT supplied modem, you can't just slap in a VDSL2 modem and hope for the best (something to do with chipset compatibility and firmware or something like that).
knowdice
Rising Star

There are people that have successfully used both the Draytek and AVM on FTTC, but it's clearly not condoned by either Plusnet or BT.
From the BT SIN
"Openreach will provide GEA-FTTC as an ‘always on’ Virtual LAN (VLAN) between
the Layer 2 Switch Optical Line Termination (L2S) equipment in the exchange and
each copper VDSL2 Network Termination Equipment (NTE) in the End User
premises."

And thanks JoJo for clarification on extension cable. Master socket to BT Modem is RJ11 as noted above.