cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connection limited to 34MB

onlymestevet

Fibre connection limited to 34MB

Hi, I've been with Plusnet for about a year, having moved over from Sky, and all in all I'm well happy with the service. However, I signed up for the Unlimited Fibre Extra service, and was told I'd get a line speed of around 76MB, which is what my mate on the other side of town is getting from Plusnet. But on the day of install the engineer monitored the speed and it was around 34 MB, and it's never improved.
I read somewhere that it can depend on what the street cabinet is rated for?  Does that mean I'm stuck on 34MB, or is there any way I can get the full 76MB? How can I find out what my street cabinet is rated, and are there any plans to upgrade street cabinets in general?
Steve
3 REPLIES 3
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre connection limited to 34MB

Hi onlymestevet,
What does this tell you your speeds should be? - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
onlymestevet

Thanks for your speedy reply, that confirms what I thought about the street cabinet.
                                        High Low  HighLow
FTTC Range A (Clean) 43.9 32.8 9.3 6.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 37.5 20         9.3 5.3 -- Available
That looks like the very best that cabinet will support is between 32.8 and 43.9 on a clean line, and I'm getting about 34, so its as good as I'm going to get.
Thank you for helping me, it's appreciated.
Steve
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, Steve. Sorry it's not better news Sad
I've placed a modify order for your line to allow 80/20 speeds through just in case that may help it at all. It's unlikely but worth a shot. It'll complete on Monday next week but it may take a few days to fully kick in. Like I said, it may not make any difference but worth a try.