Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre connected yesterday,no router delivered. cannot use phone to call out

moggysmam
Dabbler

Fibre connected yesterday,no router delivered. cannot use phone to call out

Hi, I wonder if you can help me.
I got fibre installed yesterday (nightmare) on the unlimited package-80/20. My problems are I haven't received the router, I received a text on Thursday to say it was sent.
I have been billed for the delivery charge. I am using a Billion 7800n to connect with. my stats are 39 down 15 up at the min. the engineer done a test which came back with excellent results, just about max 80/20. Anyway today I cannot make outgoing calls from my landline but can receive calls.
20 REPLIES 20
moggysmam
Dabbler

Re: Fibre connected yesterday,no router delivered. cannot use phone to call out

The attachment is how the engineer left the box on the wall as he wouldn't chip plaster. I wanted an extension from the main box in the kitchen to the one you see in the picture,but he said they don't do extentions from the main box. so he converted the old box in the hall.
Thanks ...Lisa
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi moggysmam,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. Was the engineer an Openreach Engineer?
As part of the installation we do include an extension, if you require it, so I'm sorry that this didn't happen. I've had a look at the phone side of things, the service doesn't transfer over to us until 11/07/2014, until then, you will need to speak to your current Telephone Provider to see if they have an idea why your telephone service isn't working.
On the Fibre side of things, you're speeds are connected at a substantially lower rate than we would expect. This could be down to the phone side of things or the quality of the installation. Could you please contact your phone provider to ensure that they're aware of the fact you can't dial out, we'll be happy to investigate the Fibre Speeds side of things once that's been looked at.
moggysmam
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.
Cannot phone bt Haven't got a phone. This happened whilst the engineer Non openreach fitted the new box on the wall, he was here for about 3hrs, absolute nightmare. He said he had fitted a faulty box and there is a known fault with some of the boxes they fit. He fitted another.
I told the engineer that the line could be extended be he wouldn't consider it under no circumstances.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting me know this - what a nightmare.
Can you let me know when you'd be available for an Openreach Engineer to attend to sort this out for you? I'll arrange it for you.
moggysmam
Dabbler

as soon as possible please.
Any news on the router?
Thank you
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The router was sent out 6 days ago. As you've not received it, I've sent a replacement, so you should receive that over the next few days.
I'm just going through the process of getting an engineer arranged. I'll post back once I've done it and I'll let you know once it's been booked.
moggysmam
Dabbler

Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've got you booked in provisionally for tomorrow afternoon between 1pm-6pm.
I want to ensure this goes through so I'll keep an eye on this out of hours and I'll let you know by around 8pm this evening.
moggysmam
Dabbler

Thanks a lot Chris, I just hope it isn't the same guy. Although he was from Kelly communications. Fingers crossed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'll be an Openreach Engineer.
That's all confirmed and booked in for you.
moggysmam
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi Lisa,
What an appalling installation, however this seems to be all too common from KC.
It would be worth while you identifying exactly where your phone wires run and where you want your connections (phones and FTTC) to be.
It is really useful having the picture to look at.  Some things to consider...  Was this location that of the MASTER phone socket?  The MASTER socket should be the first socket on the inbound phone wire and where the VDSL faceplate is installed.  From the picture it looks as though the AB pair has been "continued" through to another extension - this is very bad practice as that also takes the VDSL signal to the extension(s) as well, thereby requiring any phone connected to that extension(s) to require a VDSL filter.  Connecting a phone in those socket(s) without a filter will "sink" the VDSL signal.
If this is not the first socket on the line, then the location of the master socket will need to be moved (or some smart wiring done resulting in increasing the effective length of the internal wiring).  You might need to have a data extension installed to get exactly what you want in the right place.  Again, it is not unheard of for KC to bodge up the VDSL faceplate installation to avoid the "necessity" (?) of installing a data extension.
All extensions should be connected off one of the two front plates, not off the back of the incoming line AB termination points, where at present there are two blue / yellow pairs..
If you can get some, a couple of extra long faceplate / socket box screws would be handy to have on hand so that the whole assembly can be screwed onto the metal box as I guess the original socket was.

Have a box of tissues available for the BTOR engineer, cos they sure as hell are going to weep when they see this bodge up from their sub-contractor.  Shocked
Good luck, Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

moggysmam
Dabbler

Hi, Kevin, Chris and all that have followed this thread.
Well Bt openreach have been and sure enough- as I thought confirmed it was a botch job.
The engineers have now blocked off the internal extensions x3, they left 1 socket as the master, this wasn't the master before. They didn't use any extra cable or extension cable.
My only problem is I'm getting terrible speeds from the new plusnet supplied router. I'm a bit concerned to switch back to my own Billion 7800n just in case it shows as a fault with b.T.
The tecs said not to trust speed checkers like ookla. They said the line should get 80/20 hmmm. Would it be possible to check at plusnet ?if you could please, Chris.
Regards Lisa
moggysmam
Dabbler

on the plus side, the guys were very nice and they got the phone working again.