cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre coming soon to my Exchange-- but would it improve things?

dvvrue95
Grafter

Fibre coming soon to my Exchange-- but would it improve things?

I live in Mid-wales on a long rural line (6688m from exchange) I currently experience a fairly reliable
ADSL2 line giving me about 2M downstream  :). My current modem stats show the following :-
D/S conn. speed 2361: Attn 63.5db: Noise Mgn 1.9db
U/S conn. speed 675: Attn 38.9 Noise mgn 4.6db
If I switch from ADSL2 to ADSL2+ the modem refuses to synch  :(.
My cabinet is approx 2.5 km away.
Is fibre (FTTC) likely to improve things?
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Fibre coming soon to my Exchange-- but would it improve things?

May be!
Looking at this graph - http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance - you might see 12Mbps.
See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm for an estimate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Townman,
thanks for yr reply and related links.
After referring to the links I decided to check on a "by road"
distance measurement between new big green cabinet and home. It turns out that this is
3.4km  ::). So with reference to the BT Fibre Broadband Speed vs distance from cabinet link
its looking more like 5Meg (with a passing wind etc etc) :-\.
I realize these are only "guesstimates" but based on these data I think I will wait for something more
specific before considering a move to FTTC.
I guess the idea of "try before you buy" is pretty much a non starter?
Ian 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It is for FTTC I'm afraid. Fibre was really only intended for the shorter lines and it;s a real shame that BT haven't put a cab closer to you to benefit from Fibre 😕
BT are running trials which might improve the longer lines performance, so keep your fingers crossed for upcoming news in the future as it might be of benefit to you.
jbrumhead
Grafter

Another thing of note is that BT have a product called "Unlimited Faster Broadband" which they offer if your cab is fibre enabled but your speed is estimated between 2mbps-15mbps. If you tried to sign up they wouldn't offer you a fibre package as you are too far from the cab so UFB is suggested as the alternative.
CRT member - Is PlusNet intending on providing a similar product to this?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

how much is it excluding introductory offers
dvvrue95
Grafter

Interesting how this thread is going  :). Thanks JonathanB
I managed to find this link referring to BT's  "Faster Total Broadband" offering as far back as 2011!
Note the reference to how the lead in to the service is "hidden away" in the ordering process - no mention of charges though.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/07/01/bt-launch-uk-faster-total-broadband-option-3-deal-for-su...
Ian
jbrumhead
Grafter

The official info on BT's Unlimited Faster Broadband is here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740. In terms of the package price, it isn't that competitive considering you are getting far slower speeds than fibre. In some cases it is no better than your ADSL / ADSL2 connection. Price for UFB is £21 / month excluding introductory offers
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: dvvrue95
Hi Townman,
thanks for yr reply and related links.
After referring to the links I decided to check on a "by road"
distance measurement between new big green cabinet and home. It turns out that this is
3.4km  ::). ..........

When you did the recce was that speculative "this is my cabinet...." or did you check the Cabinet Number via this tool https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome I can say that all the Cabs round here are indeed numbered I know exactly which one using the tool I am connected to Wink
HTH and confirms or puts you on anther track possibly to a Cab nearer to you?
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Routefinder,
Unfortunately  Cry I did check out cabinet details and found Cab 3 outside the local Post Office Stores.
In the course of this query I have discovered that two of my (next door) neighbours are also Plusnet customers
all ADSL of course but just wondered if there is some sort of small fibre mux that could be provided ?
Ian
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So the Plusnet equivalent to BT's Unlimited Faster Broadband would be Unlimited Fibre up to 40Mbps and about £6 per month cheaper which is what I will be going to if my cab is ever enabled as it is about 0.9km wire lenght
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hi OldJim. I'm not sure I would say Plusnet's 40mb service is the equivalent to BT's Unlimited Faster Broadband, I would say it is equivalent to their Infinity 1 product. To my knowledge I have not seen an equivalent product from any provider.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I wouldn't as Infinity 1 has a 20GB usage limit but then again Unlimited Infinity 1 would match but that is £23 per month
jbrumhead
Grafter

Hmmm but UFB is not a true FTTC product. It just happens to utilise the fibre coming to the cab. Anyway £21 is steep considering you'll only get a max on 15mbps down. Most speed estimates I've seen for UFB give 1mbps up
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@JonathanB  I think you are mistaken. UFB is definitely a genuine FTTC product as described here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F. PlusNet will supply fibre for any estimated download speed whereas BT retail will not offer Infinity for longer line lengths that may not give 15Mbps. There have been cases of customers getting considerably more than that speed on unlimited faster broadband because the BT estimate may be over cautious or just plain wrong! So as far as the broadband connection is concerned PlusNet 40Mbps service is basically the same as UFB. Smiley