cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband upgrade

andres

Fibre broadband upgrade

Hi,
I'm considering an upgrade to fibre broadband - mostly to be able to increase the amount of download that I can do.
A few questions:
-I currently have a fixed ip. Would I be able to still have a fixed ip with the fiber connection?
-I am planning to put a small LAMP server behind - are there any contraindications?
-I'm currently using a Thomson TG784. Looks like it can be used instead of the Plusnet modem + router combo - is my research correct?
Thanks in advance,
    Andres
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Fibre broadband upgrade

Looks like it can be used instead of the Plusnet modem + router combo

You will still need to use the OpenReach supplied modem. The TG784 does have an Ethernet WAN port which you can connect to the modem instead of the normal PlusNet router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Depending on which fibre package you chose you would be able to keep your static IP, this is only available on the fibre Extra package.
There should be no issues using a LAMP server, as MisterW mentioned, you would still need to use the Openreach modem but you could still use your TG784 router.
I hope this helps, if you've got any other questions please ask.
Chris
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Depending on which fibre package you chose you would be able to keep your static IP, this is only available on the fibre Extra package.

Chris, I understood that the situation was that if you already had a static IP you could retain it ( and other things such as webspace,free domain etc ) when changing packages irrespective of the new package. Is that not correct anymore ? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not when moving to fibre - I remember this coming up a while back but I can't remember the reasoning
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're not wrong Jim  Sad  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102383.0.html

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The thread is where I was going to link to, I was just looking for it.
andres

Thanks everyone - hopefully now I have all the info I need!
  Andres