Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband router

itian
Grafter

Fibre broadband router

Hello,
What kit is provided by Plusnet when ordering Fibre broadband?
I've ordered it and and wanted to know if i will be able to plug in a Cisco PIX\ASA Firewall?
11 REPLIES
WonderWabbit
Grafter

Re: Fibre broadband router

I've Fibre to cab, copper to Home
I was supplied with an Openreach modem B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B
and a Technicolor Thomson TG582n router
3wks ago
itian
Grafter

Can I stick my cisco ASA in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hi itian, I would imagine there would be no problem using your Cisco. The Openreach modem has an Ethernet port for you to connect Routers or whatever. It doesn't do DHCP, that is normally done by the TG582n Router. As I'm not familiar with the Cisco, I don't know if it does DHCP, if not, I'll assume you'd need to set the TG582n into some sort of Bridge mode and plug the Cisco into that, but not my area of expertise, someone else will need to help with that.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 50

Hi itian, You should be able to use the Cisco connected directly to the OR Modem. You will need to configure it to make a PPPoE connection using your PluaNet username/password. This might help http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080ab7ce9.shtml
itian
Grafter

Thanks, Is the BT OR Modem in a bridged mode already?
dick:quote
Superuser
Superuser

Effectively, yes. It's supplied as just a VDSL modem.
nisaigroup

Hello
New user to plusnet and struggling to get support on an similar issue from plusnet.
We have a new fibre connection to the cabinet. The connection also comes with BT OR router and a technicolor tg582n.
I have also requested for additional IP's and have received an extra public IP which i can use.
I need to setup a cisco ASA 5505 with a public IP so it can be used to setup a VPN to another site.
I have tried the suggestion from MisterW and have setup a PPPOE connection with static route as used in the technicolor router. I have now tried to remove the technicolor router and replaced it with the Cisco ASA. I now receive a log to indicate that the PPPOE session has not been established yet.
Not sure what i have missed out and would need to get this working today as im in a remote site. A newbie to the technicolor router and bit more aware of the Cisco setup.  Please can anyone let me know how i can achieve this and if you can guide me on this.
Any help is really appreciated.
Regards
AJ
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Hi there,
welcome to the forums and Plusnet.
btw it's a BTOR Modem, not a router in case there's any confusion there and not just a typo  Wink
Just to be clear, you are able to connect and browse when you have the TG582n connected?
Also, a couple of other tips - avoid rebooting the Modem. And don't do so at all in the first 48hrs.
If you can, Disconnect/drop the PPP session in your Router before changing things and unplugging from the modem. This helps prevents issues with stale session timeouts.
Also if you really need to turn off the modem (even just to achieve a reboot), best to drop the PPP session first, and leave the modem off for an hour at least if you do so. If you are a long way from the Cab, best to turn the modem on again in daylight hours.
MisterW will certainly be one of the guys who's best to help you with the Cisco issue.
Superuser
Superuser

Hi nisaigroup,
If you've removed the TG582n then you need to configure the cisco to establish the pppoe connection using your PlsuNet username/password details
This http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml gives details of the general connection settings needed.
This http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/conf_gd/pppoe.html might help with the Cisco settings
nisaigroup

Hello MisterW
Thank you for your reply.
I have setup the cisco to use the pppoe connection and the static route. this does not work as after making the changes i have done the reload. This shows an error on the monitoring section
pppoe connection has not been established.
I have also verified the account details that im using for the pppoe connection by creating connection from the windows machine.  This works.
using the same details and plugging the cisco directly is not. i have also tried making the technicolor device in a bridge mode and tried the pppoe on the cisco. This also does not work.
Not sure as to why this did not work but any other pointers would really help. i also read on another forum that sometimes the cisco devices may have the option of setting up pppoe connections but may not have the necessary modules etc.
As i have a second public IP available can i make the cisco asa as a DMZ with this public IP.  The options available in the config does not work in my setup
Regards
AJ
Superuser
Superuser

I'm no Cisco expert I'm afraid but if you can establish a pppoe connection from a PC directly to the modem then the problem must be in the Cisco config. Using the TG582 in bridge(modem) mode isn't going to help you.
There's supposedly an example of a working pppoe config for the cisco in this thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122261.0.html
As to handling multiple public IP's that's going to be a bit more tricky but this might help https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11285951/multiple-public-ip-addresses-asa-5505
If you can't get the Cisco to make the pppoe connection directly , it is possible (but not simple) to configure the TG582 for a No-Nat ( or transparent NAT ) configuration, this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108305.0.html and the link in it are worth a read