cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband installation fail. No DSL light.

warpkid
Grafter

Fibre broadband installation fail. No DSL light.

So I moved house over the weekend and decided to take my plusnet service with me. My new area has fibre so I also decided to make the upgrade.
The engineer came out yesterday to install the service but discovered that I had not been sent the router.
He did what he said he could, fit the socket and left a bt openreach modem and left, saying he couldn't finish without the router and to not plug the modem in.
I rang plusnet and discovered that they forgot to send out the new router and have now put one in the post.
Out of curiosity I plugged the openreach modem in and have noticed the DSL light remains off, suggesting no broadband signal on the line.
Does this mean the installation is incomplete?
I rang plusnet support who were not helpful and just told me to try again when the router turns up.
So right now my concern is that broadband is not active on the line and plugging the router in won't help.
I'm hoping I'm wrong though and the the DSL light will only kick in when the router is in place.
Could anyone more learned in the ways of fibre broadband shed any light on this?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre broadband installation fail. No DSL light.

Hi warpkid,
Apologies first of all for you're router not being dispatched in time, unfortunately this has meant that the engineer wasn't able to complete the installation and as such another appointment will be needed to get the job done.
I'm really sorry that the engineer didn't mention this and that the status of the broadband order wasn't checked when you called. I'll make sure feedback is passed on appropriately regarding that.
Please see the update I've just added to ticket 72845960 for further details relating to this.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It seems that BTO are inconsistent with their approach here.  When my FTTC was installed the line was tested and the modem plugged in.  As far as BTO were concerned that was job done as they were not responsible for the router install (as they would be when installing a HH for BT Infinity for instance).
The install tech left before I got the router out the box...
warpkid
Grafter

I understand that this is a joint mess up by plusnet and BTO but it's pretty disappointing all round. I'm not sure why the engineer didn't finish the job without the router.
As such I'm now going to be offline for another 2 weeks. If I hadn't had chased this and just listened to the support staff it would be even longer as well.
Ah well. Nothing that can be done now.
deathtrap
Grafter

As you don't make reference to the voice service, i assume that was unaffected and this working, so at least the engineer didn't screw that up as well, unlike with some less fortunate customers,
Why there would appear to be no Vdsl signal to the modem is strange, as usually the installing engineer will carry out the re jumpering work at the PCP cabinet first  and test before coming to the house and carrying out the rest of the instal, such as  updating the NTE master socket  where needed fitting a filtered vdsl filtered faceplate  to that, as well as re locating the NTE  or installing the home wiring solution (if ordered by ISP) But in my case  the work at the cab was done first  then fitted the  Interstitial faceplate to the existing NTE unboxed the modem connected it to mains and the NTE  waited for it to sync  he was off modem left on floor (apparently didn't have a drill with him) so couldn't fit it to the wall, yet they can justify the install charge of £96 inc vat, So the being no router  to connect to was an excuse , did he come to your house first by chance ?
warpkid
Grafter

I wasn't home at the time due to work but my brother kindly offered to wait in so my info is second hand.
As far as I know he turned up and fit the new faceplate, plugged the modem into the phone socket and when he discovered their was no router simply left and said he would probably have to come back in a couple of weeks.
Voice calls remain unaffected but I rarely use the landline for anything other than Internet. 
deathtrap
Grafter

Ok, this is just a guess, but can you still get a sync if you try and connect to your old (ADSL) connection,? assuming that you had a ADSL connection previously using your old router / modem ? If you can then the engineer aborted the install, And didn't even go to the cab to do the cable work ( re jumpering )because there was no router, which he shouldn't of done , as the BT openreach  modem can connect to your PC without a router, all is needed is a new PPPOE connection to be configured
Which would of been ok to show the connection was working ,
But they should carry test equipment  with them that would be more than capable of doing this ,Me think's you got a lazy a** engineer who didn't want to do the job
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: deathtrap
Ok, this is just a guess, but can you still get a sync if you try and connect to your old (ADSL) connection,? assuming that you had a ADSL connection previously using your old router / modem ?

Re-read Line 1 - Post 1 Smiley
deathtrap
Grafter

The previous occupiers may have had broadband ,in which case the op's modem/router may still get a sync,as the physical connection at the exchange  remains after the service is ceased, so whilst the router may get a sync they wont in most cases be able to connect to the www, through the ISP's network, I suggested the op try this as if there is an ADSL signal present then no work at the cab has been done for the FTTC instal
warpkid
Grafter

Yo,
Thanks for the input guys.
I will try my ADSL router tonight just to see if there is anything going on....I suspect not.
I have another engineer appointment booked in for 2 weeks time. Might ask him why he couldn't complete the work without the router....