cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband has slowed to 2/3 its speed.

r8bwp
Dabbler

Fibre broadband has slowed to 2/3 its speed.

I joined plusnet fibre unlimited in october and for 4 months I`ve had a steady dl 72-73mb  18.5 mb ul day or night(A ping of 9 which is now average 25). Over the past week it has been from the min at 21mb to max 61mb. its average being 50. This is quite a drop. I have powered down both boxes but this did not make any difference.I have started keeping a record of the tests i have made via speedtest.net.I use bitdefender as an antivirus.. and those all tests were done with it running.When i dl from steam I used to be able to dl a game in 15 mins now it takes alot longer almost double the time. I use the following programmes to monitor the traffic and programmes running on my machine Process Explorer v16.01and  Tcp view.
I spoke to a support worker and he says my line is at 72mb. and he changed it to 78 and that it might take a few hours to kick in, it didn`t make any difference.
It seems somwhere a support ticket has been raised but i have not to have received an email for the ticket. I do not have a static ip, when the ip changes would this make a difference?
Any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre broadband has slowed to 2/3 its speed.

Hi r8bwp,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. The slow speeds could be down to a number of things.
In the first instance, would you visit: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run the initial Speed Test as well as 'Further Diagnostics' - This will give us much more information on the speed profiles set for your line and the speeds you're experiencing.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

r8bwp, you might find this thread of interest. You've got the best man on the case for you!  Smiley

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123298.0.html
r8bwp
Dabbler

I forgot to mention that we have had quite a few power cuts and thismight have affected the exchange here is the the tap 3 results
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

From looking at your line and the speed test results, the speeds are lower than we would expect.
I can see you've got a fault raised, that should get picked up today for you.
justinheathcote
Dabbler

Yes, i know what you mean. When I had fibre installed 6 months ago it was running at a steady 19.2mbps. In the last few weeks it's dropped down to 13-14mpbs, which is rubbish for fibre.
I logged ticket 80649921 on Saturday but i've not had any answers yet.
It would be nice if Plusnet put me back up to 19.2, as I don't think £20 p.m. is good value for 14mbps
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi justinheathcote,
We'll do our best to get everything sorted out for you. I can see that our Faults Team have this hand.
Edit: Typo
r8bwp
Dabbler

just been informed by text bt (possible exchange problem)has been notified will keep you updated
ScottJames
Grafter

I am having the same issue r8bwp. Everything was running great until Friday, and now my downloads are slower. I reset my router back to factory settings last night, and at first it seemed back to normal, but it has steadily dropped back down again.
Has anyone got the link so I can raise a fault ticket?
Thanks  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
Once raised, we'll get the issue looked into for you.
ScottJames
Grafter

Nice one. Thanks Chris.
r8bwp
Dabbler

I phoned in today as I wan`t sure what was going on and an appointment for a bt engineer has been raised for tomorrow (lightning fast ty). will keep you updated
r8bwp
Dabbler

Angry Well10 mins to go decided to phone in and ask whether the  bt man was coming(1-6pm)........Nope is the reply... no notification sat here like a lemon since 11am... waiting on notification on whats gonna happen next.
r8bwp
Dabbler

::)phoned late last night as i hadn't received any notification it seems that BT have not returned the job to the pool so a new appointment can be made, phoned this morning and have been promised that i should get a new morning appointment sometime today
r8bwp
Dabbler

javascript:void(0);well just to update.. the engineer turned up on Saturday prodded and poke the wires and got the internet faster within the minimum boundaries set 62.5mb..blamed a wire and the exchange and fixed the problems(standard sub standard fix)....personally I think it was a Saturday(overtime) and do just enough to satisfy the requirements i do the Speedtest and to be honest i`m getting some atrocious readings reading from 21mb to 53 MB. How i miss my stable 73mb line that i had for 4 months......I can only thank Plusnet for trying.
  My apologies to Plusnet as i will be asking them to look at this again! I do feel a little deflated as I know this is down to BT