cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre bottle neck

alexgomy

Fibre bottle neck

Hi, hope someone can help me out.
Recently Signed up to Plusnet fibre (connections been up and running for 10 days now). Getting decent download speeds 45 - 50MB when i check on speedtest.
But we seem to have a serious bottle neck somewhere on our connection. I can be browsing around web pages and it may all of a sudden take up to 30 seconds(or more) for a page to load.
It happens across loads of different sites from BBC / google / youtube etc. We've got 2 computers on the connection a vista PC (which is wired into the router) and an iMac which is wireless.
Its happening on both machines. I've tried the technicolor router that was supplied from Plusnet and i'm currently using a TP-Link Archer C7 router (setup PPPoE).
At first i thought it could be the DNS setting i have on my mac, but i've switched it back to 192.168.0.1. i've also tried googles 8.8.8.8 but i know its not this becuase its also happening on the vista PC and this has had nothing messed with in terms of DNS. I dont have a firewall or anything like that (so it can't be that).
I've spoke to someone at Plusnet, but i seemed to know more than the support guy. He was saying if its getting 45MB+ on speedtest theres no problem.
It's getting to the point of becoming irrotating now, so a point in the right direction from anyone would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
4 REPLIES 4
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Re: Fibre bottle neck

Can you have a look at this post and attach on your speedtests results and further diagnostics from Bt speedtester.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
alexgomy

Here's a screenshot of the speedtest i've just run.
http://docs.gomysites.com/UXTj
Everytime i run a speedtest its always around the 45MB+ mark and like i said most of the time everything is running totally normal.
Maybe one in every 30 links i click is extremely slow in loading (and this is across all websites). Normally it wouldn't matter, but when you run a web business and i'm online for a good 8+ hours a day its very noticable.
Cheers
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I don't think it's a line problem but it's more to rule it out! Can you go to http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway and tell us what gateway you're on.
Also what OS and browser are you using?
alexgomy

Yeah i didn't think it was a connection problem (just because it's fast everytime i run speedtest, no dip in speeds at all).
Here's the gateway details:
You are currently connected to gateway ptn-ag02.
This is located in Telehouse North.
I'm running OSX 10.9.2 (Mavericks) - using Firefox v28 and Chrome (Latest version) and the PC is running Vista using the latest version of Chrome.