Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre available - Yeah

minimos
Grafter

Fibre available - Yeah

Hi,
Well I am in luck, despite my ramblings earlier in the week trying to get earlier access to Fibre and being told that basically it was not possible due to the cab not being live until end of June, it would appear BT have excelled themselves and activated the cab as the line checker now shows the service as available.
So I now have a few questions about the service which I am hoping can be answered before I sign up:-
1.  Do Plusnet now offer an integrated modem and router for the service?  I have lots of equipment near the master socket where it will go and need to constantly switch plugs between devices, if I have to have a modem in there as well it will mean even more juggling (despite having an 8 way extension socket).  I know that BT supply the Homehub 3 which has a special VSDL socket but not sure if this also requires a separate modem
2.  What is the total set up cost, I can see there is an activation fee (I want to stay with BT for line rental and phone), but is there a cost for equipment as well?
3.  Is there the possibility to still have prioritised packets for things like gaming etc on the product?

I really want to stay with Plusnet as the service in customer care and the level of service on my existing broadband has been great, but I am evaluating the cost of the service compared to the BT Infinity package (especially as this has unlimited usage on the top packages which is more than the 120GB).  Times are tight so I need to make sure I am getting the best bang for buck I can possibly get.
Cheers
Minimos
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre available - Yeah

Hi Minimos,
You won't be able to stay on your current package, but the Extra Fibre package is £21.49/month for you. BT provide the modem and we supply the router, so there are two pieces of equipment. For everything else you want to know, have a look at our fibre FAQs.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

The Homehub 3 still need the external VDSL modem
minimos
Grafter

OK thanks for the reply.
I think I have found the info in the FAQ Jojo provided (sorry too lazy to search for it before), just to summarise I have the facts straight:-
1.  No matter which supplier I go with I need a separate BT modem and a router
2.  The setup cost for the equipment is free but I have to pay postage, so I get the modem and a router for £4.99 P&P which I have to take (but can buy my own router which supports PPOE if I want a better one which is not officially supported)
3.  Plusnet Extra Fibre prioritises gaming into the Titanium queue anyway (much like my current BBYW Pro legacy product) and streaming is gold in both, so unless I want to upgrade VPN, FTP, Usenet or any unclassified traffic there is no need to have the pro addon.
4. As an existing customer it costs £25 setup fee if I don't take the phone option?
Thanks
Minimos
minimos
Grafter

Guys, scrub my last post, I have taken the plunge and the cost is £29.99 one off setup charge.
Thanks for your help