cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre availability does not make sense

Spider
Grafter

Fibre availability does not make sense

Areas of my town are in the process of having Fibre to Cabinet installed. When I run a check with my phone number and postcode I'm told it's not available, however when I use my works telephone number and postcode I'm told it is. Now to put this in to context I live 60m away from work on the same road with the same postcode. Looking at BT's cabling plans we are near enough equal distance from the pole. So basically why would the checkers say that I can get fibre at work but not home? Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre availability does not make sense

Are you on the same cabinet? You can check here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
Spider
Grafter

Thanks for the link. According to the link we are on two different cabinets. This is contrary to information I was told by an Open Reach engineer a few years ago. That at least explains the discrepancy. According to the webpage it should be updated by the 31/12/2013, we shall see.
Spider
Grafter

Now just checked my local cabinet status again and the availability date as moved to the 31st March 2014. what a surprise. It will be interesting to see what the actual date turns out to be.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The quarterly dates Mar/Jun/Sep/Dec are just placeholders, they mean that the cabinet is on the list for upgrade but no date has been finally set. As you've discovered, as the set date approaches it gets changed to the next quarter. Once it gets a non end of quarter date then you can assume that's a real date fro upgrade.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Blim
Grafter

This is the monopoly game that BT are playing with the £2.5 billion our government gave them to install super-faster broadband across the uk . As a result we are now left with a substandard service with little alternative because BT own the market no thanks to ofcom.
What you have just posted @OP is a prime example of BT taking advantage of the market it controls. BT deny the accusations that they are using this money to support there business-broadband service to increase their foothold in the market.

I'm having a similar problem with FTTP and I'm being told that not only does my cabinet not support fibre but nor does my exchange. I know this is total bs for two reason, my cab already has fiber (hence the FTTC) and the other because we had a power cut due to the installation of FTTP down my road. I watched them install the fiber network down my road. I have seem the blow fiber tube in the duct right outside my house. They also damaged my connecting along with the power lines while installing it so a blatant lie basically.
Spider
Grafter

FTTC was finally available to order on 26/3. Did the order straight away and today the installation was completed. The ironic thing was that the installers of the fibre cable managed to disconnect my works phone when they were pulling the cable through the ducting.