cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and Modems, how will this work

MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Fibre and Modems, how will this work

So at the moment I have a DGN2200 ADSL Modem serving an Asus RT N53 which is my dual band WAP.
Fibre is due to launch at the end of this month and I was wondering how everything will work re modems.
From what I gather there is a basic modem that connects to the fibre service and this then plugs into a WAP Plusnet graciously provide?
Do I have to use their WAP or can I just plug in the fibre modem to the WAN port of my Asus WAP?
If anyone can shed some light on what to expect i'd be very grateful.
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fibre and Modems, how will this work

You should be able just to plug in to the wan port, as long as it can do ppoe.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Thanks thats good to know, PPPoE appears on it's WAN connection type drop down menu.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

before the changeover day I suggest you screen cap and save to desktop the instructions for setting up the fibre side of things including any firmware upgrades (some manufacturers have them for there routers to take advantage of the newer products since releas of the router)
I made the schoolboy error of not being fully prepared and had to use my mobile to find everything and try to get my wife to put in all the settings in the right places (much easier to copy'n'paste when your dyslexic and working with a technophobe)
still it all worked in the end Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you