cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre & wifi

HNKS
Grafter

Fibre & wifi

Hello guys Ill be getting fibre installed next week and I wanted to know what speeds you guys were getting over wifi with the standard router? Im wondering whether I should buy a better router or if the plusnet one will be sufficient.
6 REPLIES 6
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre & wifi

I got 35 Mbps at best with laptop right next to router, and half that 20' away. Search around the forum you'll see it's a common complaint with the Technicolor.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Hi & an early welcome to the delights of fibre. I was so disappointed with my Technicolor router that PN replaced it. Sadly the 2nd one was no better. My master socket is upstairs in the study but as the crow flies no more than15 feet away. However, that halved my speed. I bought an Asus RT-N56U for about £70 & it's brilliant with no wireless loss using the 5 Ghz frequency. My profile download is 45 Mbs which I'm achieving, as you can see.

HNKS
Grafter

Thats a shame. Why are Plusnet using a router with such terrible wireless???  Angry
anniesboy
Rising Star

I guess because it is supplied for cost of P&P only.
What I don't understand is why they cant offer a decent WiFi  router at a cost of £x as a second choice for those that want to go down that path.
HNKS
Grafter

Most companies offer free routers. They have always been sufficient in my experience.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm no expert but maybe the PN supplied router struggles with the higher fibre speeds. My PN router for my ADSL connection was fine.