Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre & phone scheduled to be installed Monday - a few questions

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre & phone scheduled to be installed Monday - a few questions

Hello,
Fibre and phone are scheduled to be installed on Monday (fingers crossed), I've been reading the information supplied with the router and I have a couple of questions:
- As this installation is part of a house move it was organised over the phone. I was not offered the option of <30m extension. I'm not sure if it's possible to run the extension to my study (would need to be routed over doors etc), but should I order it regardless (I may be too late) and see what the engineer thinks during the install?
- If I connect to the router wirelessly, will the router step-down the transmission speeds to the slowest Wi-Fi device (I have a desktop computer that is 'g', and newer devices that are 'n')? Or will it operate at full 'n' speed?
- Ideally I'd like to utilise an ethernet connection as it's more secure with faster speeds to all wired devices (gigabit ethernet).
- What is the USB port on the router useable for?
Please excuse the lack of web searching on my part, but currently I can only access the internet via a 3G/GPRS dongle and it's sloooow.
Many thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Tony
26 REPLIES 26
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre & phone scheduled to be installed Monday - a few questions

Hi there,
As this installation is part of a house move it was organised over the phone. I was not offered the option of <30m extension. I'm not sure if it's possible to run the extension to my study (would need to be routed over doors etc), but should I order it regardless (I may be too late) and see what the engineer thinks during the install?

It might be too late now, but I will try for you so I'll let you know how that goes.
If I connect to the router wirelessly, will the router step-down the transmission speeds to the slowest Wi-Fi device (I have a desktop computer that is 'g', and newer devices that are 'n')? Or will it operate at full 'n' speed?

n devices should connect as n and g as g etc so for that reason you might notice some slight inconsistencies in wireless speeds across different devices.
What is the USB port on the router useable for?

it's main purpose is to attach a 3g dongle to act as a back up connection if it were ever needed.
Hope everything goes to plan on Monday for you.
Adam
EDIT:
I was not offered the option of <30m extension.

It looks like it might be too late to add that I'm afriad. I'm sorry we didn't offer it, I'll feed that back as we should have really.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
toggie101
Rising Star

Many thanks for the reply Adam.
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
n devices should connect as n and g as g etc so for that reason you might notice some slight inconsistencies in wireless speeds across different devices.

Well that's okay. I was worried wi-fi might be a bit like USB where speeds can be pulled down to the slowest device.
it's main purpose is to attach a 3g dongle to act as a back up connection if it were ever needed.

Okay, I was hoping I could attach a HD to work as shared storage. Thanks for the info.
Hope everything goes to plan on Monday for you.

So do I! It's not been plain sailing so far (mix-up/miscommunication from PlusNet over original Feb 14th connection date, which was then rendered irrelevant by the original phone provider refusing to release the line until the 25th).  Angry
It looks like it might be too late to add that I'm afriad. I'm sorry we didn't offer it, I'll feed that back as we should have really.

Rats! I suppose I could always run an ethernet cable from the router to a gigabit ethernet switch in my study, altho' I assume an official extension would've been neater, more discrete and obviously significantly cheaper.
Idle thought: could my old PlusNet Thomson router be repurposed as an ethernet switch (obviously not gigabit tho')?
Realistically, I was pretty happy with the 12Mbs I was getting from the ADSL at my old flat so I'm sure I'll be just as happy with wireless 'n' speeds. Tho' it'll quietly nag at me that my connection could be even faster.  Smiley
Cheers,
Tony
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: toggie101
Idle thought: could my old PlusNet Thomson router be repurposed as an ethernet switch (obviously not gigabit tho')?

Yes, it's an integrated 4-port fast ethernet switch, wireless access point and modem with control firmware. Turn off DHCP, change the IP address and ignore the modem Wink
It doesn't work as a wireless range extender, though - so an ethernet link to the new router is needed  Cry
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
toggie101
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.
BT engineer should be arriving after 1pm (fingers crossed). Reading these forums does tend to give the impression it's a bit of a lottery if they'll actually turn up.  Smiley
I've had another thought: is the cable between BT's fibre modem and PlusNet's router a standard ethernet cable? If so, could I run an ethernet cable from BT's box to my study and then connect PN's router to that? This would avoid the need for an ethernet switch. Is the Technicolor router gigabit capable?
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy ethernet cable? Ideally I'd like it white in colour, fairly flexible (for routing around corners), great quality…and cost next to nothing. Wink  (Truthfully I'm not going to skimp on something so important).
As always, many thanks for any insights you can provide.
Cheers,
Tony
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

1. yes it is a standard Ethernet cable, if you ordered the extension cable they are able to move the fibre modem for you
2. No it is 100Mb
3. try Amazon
toggie101
Rising Star

Quote from: Hairy
1. yes it is a standard Ethernet cable, if you ordered the extension cable they are able to move the fibre modem for you

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I wasn't offered the extension while ordering over the phone (only learnt about it when reading the router documentation) and was too late to add the option when I spotted it.  Sad
Cheers,
Tony
toggie101
Rising Star

Phew! I'm connected but I was a tad worried for a while.
The engineer arrived a little early (excellent), but my phone wasn't connected which he thought may cause a problem. While he disappeared off to the cabinet I phoned Plusnet who informed me that normally the phone should be working during the morning but not always, and the fibre install may fail which would entail another engineer visit and consequently another 2-3 week delay in broadband.  Cry I was not a happy camper!
Luckily, while the engineer was away he managed to chat to the guy who was switching the phones and got me swapped from the bottom of his 'to do' list, to the top - excellent.
So I now have phone and fibre, but (there had to be a 'but'), my test result shows:

Which obviously isn't right. I'll wait and see if things magically correct themselves. If not, it's back to phoning Plusnet.
Cheers,
Tony
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to hear everything went to plan.
and the fibre install may fail which would entail another engineer visit and consequently another 2-3 week delay in broadband.

That sounds like a bit of a gloomy way of looking at it. Maybe the words "in a worst case scenario" wouldn't have gone amiss there Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
toggie101
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
and the fibre install may fail which would entail another engineer visit and consequently another 2-3 week delay in broadband.

That sounds like a bit of a gloomy way of looking at it. Maybe the words "in a worst case scenario" wouldn't have gone amiss there Smiley

She did concede that it might've been preferable to delay the fibre install until the day after the phone was due to activate. I agree!
Now, what can I do about my download speeds being slower than my upload speeds?
All advice gratefully received.
Cheers,
Tony
Bright
Grafter

First thing would be to check your BT IP profile for the line (which will indicate your VDSL sync rate). Go to the BTW speed test site, after the first test stage click the Further Diagnostics button, get the results of the 2nd stage and it would be helpful if you could copy/paste them back here  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As it's only been installed today it's probably worth waiting a day or so for it to settle, but if it hasn't picked up by tomorrow lunchtime then we should probably look into it. Still definitely worth doing what Bright suggests above though.
toggie101
Rising Star

Thanks for the help.
FWIW before I went to the BTW test page I rebooted everything (BT modem, PN router, computer), hopefully it won't give the impression of instability on the line but I thought it a wise move before diagnosing.
The results were:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 13.49 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.42Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I look forward to your thoughts.
Cheers,
Tony
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I take it this is a wireless connection?
If so then yes it is a problem common to the PN supplied router, it just isn't man enough, as many of us have pointed out.
It may "up" if you add a wifi n card to the pc. *but don't expect line speeds from the router
toggie101
Rising Star

Quote from: Hairy
I take it this is a wireless connection?

Nope, it's a wired connection.
Cheers,
Tony