cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre + Windows 7 Fax = No Internet for 30mins!

freedee
Dabbler

Fibre + Windows 7 Fax = No Internet for 30mins!

I wasn't sure where this post would go so I apologies if it is in the wrong place. 

Set up Fibre Broadband
Windows 7 Ultimate laptop
USB V92 External Fax Data Modem
BT DSL Filter in the telephone socket with connection for phone and Modem sockets
Windows allowed program through firewall and Fax sent successfully, but I lost internet for 30min. with a yellow exclamation beside the internet connection.  I need to be able to send faxes and use the internet at the same time, can anyone help? Sad
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Fibre + Windows 7 Fax = No Internet for 30mins!

Try double filtering the fax modem i.e. plug in an extra filter to the faceplate.
It may sound strange but it works in many cases.
picbits
Rising Star

And just double checking - you've got FTTC so the engineers have already changed the faceplate of your master socket with the one with a seperate RJ45 socket at the top to plug the BT FTTC modem in ? Are you using your fax modem from this same socket or are you using it from an extension ?
Any issues when you make a normal phone call from a telephone connected to the same socket as your fax modem ?
freedee
Dabbler

Hi Dom,
Thank you for replying. Cheesy
"FTTC so the engineers have already changed the faceplate of your master socket"  Yes,  I attach pic, but there is only the one black modem lead coming out of it and it goes straight into the BT Openreach modem on the floor, then an RJ lead from that to my router.  Would I need to put a filter on this socket too as I did use the socket in the frontroom?  Also, can i use an adsl filter as i only have one dsl filter.
Thanks in advance.
free
picbits
Rising Star

No - that socket should not have a filter between it and the BT Modem.
I would personally try (if possible) plugging your Fax into the socket underneath that black wire on your picture. See if it makes any difference to your connection when you send a fax. If this doesn't work then try your DSL filter in that socket and plug your Fax into the DSL filter.
Don't disconnect the black cable at the top that goes to your BT router - this should not be part of the problem.
Is that white cable at the bottom of the picture connected into the master socket ? Does it go to the other extensions in your house ?
freedee
Dabbler

Hi Dom, no that white cable is a standard four plug extension lead that trails at the back from one end of the room to the other, powering a couple of table lamps.  ok will try your suggestion, the school gonna think me mad with all these blank faxes Cheesy
freedee
Dabbler

Hi Dom, I just wondered, when I double up on the filters, can i use an adsl filter as well as the dsl filter?
picbits
Rising Star

It should work - it certainly shouldn't do any harm to anything.
DSL and ADSL filters should be the same anyway (off the top of my head).
Technically you should be able to plug your fax modem straight into that socket and it should work without interruption.
I'd try that first without extra filters then try the same with a normal telephone and see if that keeps your connection while you're making a call.
If the above works fine without the filter, you may have some other issues with your extension wiring or something.
I've also seen phone installations where extensions have all been run in parallel with the master socket from an external box so extensions aren't filtered even with the new BT master socket faceplate.