Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Web Page Surfing Simulator

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Fibre Web Page Surfing Simulator

Maybe an odd question but I wonder if such a thing might exist? Just curious to get a good idea of what the experience is like before I buy. It wouldn't cost me all that much more to upgrade but I'm mindful of being locked into an 18 month contract.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Web Page Surfing Simulator

I don't think there is one as everyone will have a slightly different experience. It looks like your estimates are at the top end of the range, so you should get close to the best speeds.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

🙂 Too bad I can't RDP or xterm to a machine with it on to test drive it.
Chris
Legend

Even if you did you'd still be limited by your connection that you'd established the remote session from Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

I asked a similar question a few months ago, i.e. would an upgrade to Fibre be worth it for someone who is the sole user of a connection which is used mainly for web surfing?
The answer was that I would see little benefit from the upgrade - if I lived in a multiple-user household, each with different kinds of internet activities, or was a regular downloader of large files then the answer would almost certainly have been different.
(At the moment, local FTTC provision keeps getting put back further and further every time I look at it, so it's not really an issue at the moment!  ::))
Chris
Legend

I had fibre for a while but I'm now on an 8Mb ADSL2+ connection, browsing and streaming are still fine for me, the main time I notice the slower speed is when I'm downloading a new game, instead of taking minutes it can take hours (or in some cases overnight for 50GB+ games).
southerner
Aspiring Pro

So putting fibre in wouldn't make all web pages appear pretty much instantly giving a 'smooth as butter' surfing experience which I read some place?
I'm not a downloader. Just hit lots of websites in what I'm doing and so it's annoying when some take a while to load. I do use Netflix and Amazon streaming on my BD player but even if I had 25mb ds over fibre for Netflix's 4k service I'd need a new TV to view that anyway 🙂
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What are your current speeds?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
XenoGuy
Grafter

The reasons I would like fibre, are mainly for the upload speed....... 888kbps adsl2+ doesn't quite catch it if you want to stream on Twitch, etc
southerner
Aspiring Pro

I get just over 18Mb down and just over 1Mb up.
Chris
Legend

Very very good point, I'd forgotten that I can no longer stream to Twitch.tv Sad
Razorback
Grafter

I personally have not noticed much difference between ADSL and fibre for web browsing, whereas for streaming it is a massive improvement.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: woodm
I get just over 18Mb down and just over 1Mb up.

Save your pennies, and try a different browser or investigate why yours seems to be lagging (my connection is around 8Mbps and browsing most sites is usually almost instant.)
XenoGuy
Grafter

With Be Unlimited, I had an upload of 1.3 (I understand they used their own dslam's etc)... a bit better, not enough to stream on hd (was only streaming audio via shoutcast back then)