cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade Installation

mushy
Grafter

Fibre Upgrade Installation

Installation went well on the day more or less as planned, it was Kellys Communications (on behalf of BT) van that turned up at the door first, nice chap but not very experienced and had only been with them a matter of 3 weeks but all the same he was a nice enough chap.
He replaced the faceplate parts first of all on the master telephone socket before plugging in what I would assume is some kind of signal repeater before disappearing for around 20 minutes down to the cabinet halfway through the village and remaking the connection.
When he came back he pluged in the phone and checked there was a dial tone and then plugged in the new modem, which as it turned out to be the ECI type modem, and waiting for the lights to come on and detect the signal ok.
He was just going to go after that after asking if I had received the new router ok when I mentioned about fitting the extension cable which if I hadn’t of asked I don’t think he would of offered. It was at this point the inexperienced showed as he wasn’t keen on making up a cable and fitting the extension.
After a bit of debating that if I had an extension it would have to go a certain route and would have to be tacked to the skirting and door frame we came to an arrangement that he just made me a cable up I would route it as and where I wanted it so he made a cable and just tested the modem on the end of the cable.
All in all it went ok and sorted out on the first appointment, the engineer was a pleasant guy and did a good job and I finished off just routing the extension so happy to be up and running with no problems or issues that I have noticed as yet.
I did notice however that before the he came my PN account had already been updated and showing the connection was completed and it had been updated around 01.30am on the presumption that it was all going to go ok.
I'm glad it went ok for me but i am sorry for others that aren't so lucky and need more than just the one appointment.
2 REPLIES 2
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Upgrade Installation

Glad all went fine for you, and you got your extension cable sorted.
Your PN account will show your fibre as being active prior to installation so that as soon as your install is complete your profile correctly for you to achieve your new speeds.

mushy
Grafter

Re: Fibre Upgrade Installation

The data cable they made up was just that, a data cable with RJ11 on both ends to fit between the phone master socket and the modem and not a cat5 cable between the modem and router so both items was still connected with the supplied lan cat5 cable near to each other.