cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speeds

paddypecks

Fibre Speeds

Hi,
had fibre installed on the 28th Nov, since install I've had 9-10Mbps download, and 0.9 upload.
My question is, should there be a period in which this would change? (my previous ADSL+ line had almost exactly the same profile).
I've had conflicting results on fibre speed capabilities, from a high of 64Mbps to a low of 20Mbps, so I would imagine to be at least somewhere in that mix.
My test (BTWholesale test) shows a max of 11Mbps DL and 20Mbps Up. Leaves me a little more confused. Sounds like my profile needs changing, if that's possible.
Any help from Plusnet would be greatly appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Speeds

You're a fair bit under the estimate we gave you. Can you go through the steps at https://faults.plus.net and report this in to us.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paddypecks

Hello Chris,
Thanks for the quick response.
Tried direct dial up, get an error 651, modem issue. Doesn't connect beyond that.
Added current BT Wholesale performance test also.

paddypecks

Any news on the report made?
Same situation as previously stated.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
The fault is being worked on at the moment, we're reporting the problem with our suppliers for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
paddypecks

Thanks for the update.
paddypecks

Engineer has been out and found an issue with the line cable, as well as erroneous cables connected in the Openreach plate. Shame the original installer didn't do this simple check when initially placed. Speed now much better, currently running at approx 20Mbps DL, and 2Mbps UL.
Great service from Plusnet to get this looked at quickly, and with good information on progress and the checks being made.
My engineer's report stated the sync speed was steady at 31Mbps. Will my final sync level out nearer to that target, or has it been fixed at 20Mbps at the moment? 
Thanks again for your help.
paddypecks

Hello,
Would anyone have an answer to the question above?
Chris
Legend

My engineer's report stated the sync speed was steady at 31Mbps. Will my final sync level out nearer to that target, or has it been fixed at 20Mbps at the moment? 

I'm guessing that the second part is referring to the profile rather than the sync? I'll go have a look and see what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately your line is still 'banded'
Profile Name 15M-30M Downstream, Interleaving Off - 1.3M-2.7M Upstream, Interleaving Off

This means you won't get faster than 30M until the banding is removed, and the only way to remove that at the moment is via an engineer visit which he really should have done when he visited you.
However.... the speeds you are getting now are above the estimate for your line, so it's unlikely we'll be able to get another engineer out as the first one has fixed the low speeds.
paddypecks

Thanks for the reply Chris.
Am I wrong in thinking this is the second visit by a BT engineer, and the second time they haven't carried out the necessary tests/updates?
I know it sounds a bit moaney (not sure that's a word) to complain about speeds when I'm getting faster speeds then previously, but I suppose I'm still down at least 25% on what I should be getting, and still having to to pay the same price. It may not even make any difference to bump it up, although I'm sure I'd see a good difference in the upload speed,  but really it's the principle of the thing.
Moan over.
Is it worth raising? the ticket is still open.