cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Fibre Speed not Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

I wonder if cwaite is measuring his speed connected via wireless or wired (ethernet)? That could explain the speed difference.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: shalom2010
Oldjim - may I refer you to http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/fibre-optic-broadband/ - Point 4 does not tie in at all with your commnet
That is because it is wrong and Plusnet should have sorted it
shalom2010
Grafter

Perhaps you would be so kind as to give a fuller explanation, because all I see from Plusnet on this forum is about the '10 day training period'. Thank you.
dick:quote
ffox
Pro

@shalom2010 & cwaite
Oldjim is quite right.  Read  BT's SIN 498:  http://www.sinet.bt.com/index.htm
The relevant paragraph is 2.2.1.
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks ffox - so there is no 10 day training period, but "DLM will wait until the day after provision before deciding if it must
intervene, provided that the line has been trained up for at least 15 minutes during the preceding day" - what is 'after provision'
actually mean? I must say I don't understand why 10 day training periods are mentioned by Plusnet if SIN 498 is relevant (perhaps someone from Plusnet could comment)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The 10 day training period was for ADSL not Fibre
After provision is after it goes live
cwaite
Rising Star

Quote from: shalom2010
I wonder if cwaite is measuring his speed connected via wireless or wired (ethernet)? That could explain the speed difference.

The speed test is being run on an Ethernet . BT speedtest says that my profile is a poor 34.02mb and Plusnets high speed broadband section in the member centre says I am connected at only 37mb.
cwaite
Rising Star

Anyway how can Plusnet legally state that their estimate is accurate to 1mb when clearly it's not in all cases.
shalom2010
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The 10 day training period was for ADSL not Fibre
After provision is after it goes live

Thanks oldjim for the info, very interesting. So why oh why is Plusnet talking about 10 day training periods! Baffling really.
cwaite you are unlikely to see exactly 37Mbps, in my opinion. You are talking about a 3Mbps difference which could just be the speedtest inaccuarcy? (Only guessing!)
shalom2010
Grafter

Quote from: cwaite
Anyway how can Plusnet legally state that their estimate is accurate to 1mb when clearly it's not in all cases.

I think you're flogging a dead horse!!
shalom2010
Grafter

Hi All
Further to the discuss about 10 day training periods on FTTC - this maybe of interest.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput
"For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises."
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, that's correct. For ADSL it is 10 days, for fibre 2 days - but 10 days also covers that so one simple statement covers both.
David
ffox
Pro

Quote from: spraxyt
For ADSL it is 10 days, for fibre 2 days  ....... one simple statement covers both

...and causes unnecessary delays before FTTC faults are rectified.
shalom2010
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Yes, that's correct. For ADSL it is 10 days, for fibre 2 days - but 10 days also covers that so one simple statement covers both.

Well on the basis you are correct, can you please point me to where it says the training period for FTTC is 2 days and I'll point this out to Plusnet staff who twice told a friend of mine just
connected to FTTC the training period is 10 days!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You've already been through the BT SIN document that explains how initial DLM intervention works on FTTC.
David