cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Change

Arai

Fibre Speed Change

Hi,
I upgarded from Plusnet Fibre Essentials to Fibre unlimited last Friday (28 Feb) and i have yet to see a download speed increase. I know that there have been network issues last 48 hours that would be affecting the performance but even prior to this i have not seen an increase.
I have seen an increase in my up speed from 11mb to 20mb. I know that my line is capable of 78mb speeds and i am within 2 miles (maybe less) of the exchange.
At which point should i be seeing a Down speed increase?
Thanks
Aria
11 REPLIES 11
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre Speed Change

Hi Arai,
I'm sorry you're experiencing slower than expected speeds.
I've had a look into your account and you should've definitely seen a speed increase by now. I can confirm everything is set correctly on your account and I've also tested your line and it looks fine.
Can you run the BT speed tester which can be found here: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post your findings?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ Arai - are you testing on wireless or ethernet connection?
Try the speedtest with an ethernet connection if not. already doing so
Arai

Im at work right now but will do the BT test either tonight or tomorrow morning.
I usually test the speed via my mobile using the speedtest app (im usually sitting right beside the router), and  the highest speed i have had was 40mb which i have only obtained once and that was on Friday night, however my speed seems to average about 20 -25 mb with the occasional 30-35 (rarely). These are very similar to the speed i was experiencing prior to upgrading.
Also would i be correct in assuming that Plusnet do not throttle download speeds at peak times?
Thanks
Arai
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Performing a speed-test on your mobile is not recommended as the speeds can drop significantly when you're running the test on a mobile as this is done via a wireless connection. Personally my line is capable of 77Mbps downstream speed but if I test it on my phone I'll get 35-40 Mbps on average.
That is correct, we don't throttle download speeds at peak times. Post your findings once you've been able to perform the speed-test as suggested on the link I submitted in my previous post.
Arai

I have now done the BT wholesale speed test with varying results.
Wired I was getting varied results from 17mb down to my highest of 52mb down using BTwholesale, however i was averaging 20mb down, 14mb up and 50 ping. Using Speedtest.net i was regularly hitting 70mb down speeds so im a tad confused as to which is more reliable.
When i used BTwholsale through my wireless my results were 37.11mb down, 13.74mb up with 36.88 ping and speedtest.net came back at 40mb as highest down.
i know that there is usually a difference in speed between wireless and wired, but i firstly i never thought a 30mb difference would be the case or that as you can see BTwholsale speedtest wi-fi is faster than wired.
Anyone got any idea why that is?
thomasjc1
Grafter

Also what phone were you using to test I have iphone 5 and on the 2.4ghz wifi network I get around 40mb but if I swap it to the 5.0ghz then I get 73mb the same as my laptop
Arai

Thomasjc1 im using a Sony Xperia T that is capable of 5ghz.
It looks like the Technicolor 582n router supplied cannot transmit at 5ghz (according to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119263.0.html/ ) if this is the case, why do plusnet not supply a router that is capable of providing the higher speeds via wi-fi that most people would expect from a Fibre connection?
All my kit in the house that connects to the internet do so via wifi (otherwise id need an awful lot of ethernet cable) so im currently trying to figure out if my router cannot transmit at a higher band is it even worth keeping fibre?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Arai, I understand what you're saying and as I stated previously when I connect via WiFi I notice a rough 30Mbps drop in speed. The router we supply is designed to cater for the majority of our customers, however, if you desire a router that transmits at 5ghz then you would have to supply this yourself.
Arai

Thanks Linn
I suspected that i would need to get a different router to get my desired speed.
Do plusnet have any plans to roll out dual band routers for their fibre service, especially since 5ghz enabled hardware is becoming more and more common?
Could anyone recommend a good reliable budget dual band router?
Thanks for the help.
thomasjc1
Grafter

Oh yes of course. I don't use the plusnet router I have the asus rt-n66u
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Arai,
We don't have any plans set in stone as of yet to release dual band routers, however, it is being considered. This will be announced in due time if the decision is made to supply them.