cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router TG582n Questions

northspoon
Dabbler

Fibre Router TG582n Questions

I have just joined Plusnet and yesterday received the Technicolor TG582n fibre router. The service is not active yet, but can anyone answer a couple of questions about this router, which it not answered in the setup guide?
1. What is the USB socket used for on the side of the router?.
2. What are the Wi-Fi and WPS buttons for, and how do you use them? This might be a very basic question, but I did not have these on my old TalkTalk router.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre Router TG582n Questions

Hi there and welcome to Plusnet Smiley
The USB socket can be used to attach a 3G dongle as a back up connection or to connect a storage device such as a USB flash drive.
Re the buttons you've mentioned Wi-Fi can be used to turn the wireless capability on and off. The WPS funtion (Wi-Fi protected set up) is a one-touch method of setting up a wireless network. You'll find that you'll probably never need to use the latter of the two but you may find that's something that tends to be used more for linking wireless devices such as printers quickly and easily.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
northspoon
Dabbler

Thank you Adam for the fast reply, much better than TalkTalk!!
So with using WPS, do I need to check first that all devices I want to connect support this protocol?  If some don't, what then?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes that's right, if they don't then you may have to manually connect them to the wireless network. Chances are they would support this and connect automatically though. It really depends on what devices you are using. If you're referring to things such as smartphones or PCs then you'd need to first be able to detect the SSID of the router and then manually enter the passkey. WPS tends only to be more relevant to things like printers or other such peripheral devices on a network.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team