Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router IP address please

NedLudd
Grafter

Fibre Router IP address please

Hi peeps,
I'm moving to PlusNet Fibre from Sky BB later this month. My Sky router has a base address of 192.168.1.1 and some of my network devices have fixed IP addresses, e.g. 192.168.1.88 is my printer.
What is the base address of the PlusNet Fibre Router? If it is 192.168.0.1 then I need to prepare for the changeover. Or, is it very easy to reset the base address?

Geoff,
York.
6 REPLIES 6
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Router IP address please

The PlusNet supplied TG582n router has a LAN side IP of 192.168.1.254, and the DHCP server is set up to issue IP addresses from 192.168.1.65 upwards.  The easiest thing to do (i.e. "path of least resistance") with this if you want "static" IPs on your LAN is to connect up each device and let the router allocate an IP then in the router's GUI tick the box to "always use the same IP for this device".  You probably won't get the same IPs you had before though.
NedLudd
Grafter

Thanks for that! Now I know what I'll be dealing with I'll be able to set my devices to receive their IP address from the router in advance of the changeover. I'll maybe revert back to (some) fixed in the future!
Geoff,
York.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If none of your fixed IPs have their last octet above 100 (say) you could alter the DHCP range to start at 192.168.1.100 then no need to change existing fixed IPs. However it would be necessary to make the DHCP range change again if a factory reset is performed.
Another option is to give devices new fixed IPs which are below 192.168.1.64. That would be proof against a factory reset (or firmware upgrade).
David
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt

Another option is to give devices new fixed IPs which are below 192.168.1.64. That would be proof against a factory reset (or firmware upgrade).

Good thinking! I can do that right now without complicating existing or new routers!
Geoff,
York.
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Okayyy...  Undecided  ... but on those devices that you manually configure the TCP/IP settings you'll likely still need to change things like the default gateway and maybe DNS and WINS servers to suit the new router once it's running.  Depends on what you connecting.
NedLudd
Grafter

I'm connecting an IP camera and my printer on fixed IP addresses. Gateway and DNS IP's will be set up after new router installed. However, I can now address both devices thru' either router! Cool
Many thanks guys for your help!
Geoff,
York.