Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Questions... Newbie!

Robtheplod
Grafter

Fibre Questions... Newbie!

Hi All
I've been reading as much as i can but there are still some points i'm not 100% on.....
Is FTTC fibre the same as ADSL in that you have your line, which stays for use with a phone as well?Huh
Do you pay any line rental to BT for a fibre line?
If getting a fresh line installed to use fibre on, is this done via plusnet, or do you need to get BT to fit first?
many thanks!!
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre Questions... Newbie!

You need to pay line rental to someone, so BT, PN or another telco and yes you need a phone line as you do for ADSL.
A phone line can be ordered through PN or BT etc
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Robtheplod
Grafter

thanks for that. Can FTTC fibre allow use of the telephone as well on the line, as ADSL does, or is it like SDSL whereby the whole of the connection is used for data?Huh
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

It does allow use of the phone as well
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BigDaz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

When I go to my account and change my product, fibre isn't listed. Does this mean it's not available to me?
When I do Check Availability on the fibre optic page, I just get a "you already have plusnet broadband" message.
mushy
Grafter

Might be worth checking it on the BT site to see if it is available to you, if you can it should tell you the approximate speed you can get.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Robtheplod
If you take a Plusnet phone package as well (so you pay line rental and calls to Plusnet) then you get free installation providing you stay for more than 12 months. Fibre is an 18 month contract.
Robtheplod
Grafter

many thanks for the replies...
the premises where fibre is available is a business, albeit a small single person business - is plusnet firbre ok for this as they dont have business products?
the broadband is with another provider at present - are you able to transfer to plusnet and upgrade to fibre in one hit?  would be interested in moving phone as well if we could keep the number?
thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

is plusnet firbre ok for this as they dont have business products?

We'd be fine with that, however just be aware that it wouldn't conform to the terms and conditions we set out for our business products or qualify for being able to receive business support if needed.
are you able to transfer to plusnet and upgrade to fibre in one hit?

AFAIK we'd look to transfer the phone line and arrange a simultaneous fibre installation too. Do be aware that this isn't possible in some circumstances but we should be confirming dates etc and confirming this to you after you've signed up as we'd be manually processing that type of order for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team