Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Powerline adapters.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fibre Powerline adapters.

Hi all,
I got some free powerline adapters of my neighbour as they are getting rid of broadband (In their 80's) and moving into a retirement home so surplus to requirements.
I am connecting my BT OPR Modem to the powerline adapter and my BTHub3 Type B to the other end of the powerline adapter, this is so I can have my Mac Mini wired to the rooter. Has any1 experienced any problems is there a chance of massive speed drop?
Any comments greatly appreciated
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
8 REPLIES 8
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre Powerline adapters.

In my experience these tend to work pretty well.
Speed mostly depends on the wiring in your house and the capability of the adapters themselves.
Assuming that they are more than 100mbps and the wiring in your house is ok, you should be fine even with an 80mb fibre connection.
They are very easy to install however one thing to watch is that they can get quite warm so be careful if you have too many things near them.  Also performance tends to be best if they are plugged straight into the wall rather than through an extension lead.
Hope that helps
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

They are trialled talk talk  adapters if that makes a difference
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
tokey
Aspiring Pro

No idea, you need to know the speed of them.
Best way to find out is to check the speed of the connection once you have them plugged in.  Not sure how to do that on a mac, but on a pc you can check the connection speed in task manager under the networking tab.
As I said, as long as its showing a speed faster than your fibre connection, then you wont be throttling your downloads.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have VM windows 7 will find on there. ATM it showing download speeds of 30Mbits but probably due to internal wiring. At least its in the place i want it in!
tokey
Aspiring Pro

They may only be 54mbps units then.
Im assuming that you are on 80mb fibre so obviously if you are only getting 30mbps through the powerlines this will effect the speed of your connection.
Up to you now, you can either try some faster powerline adapters...
like these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_4?s=computer...
Or if its fast enough for what you want, then leave it as it is, as at least its working!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

They are now soaring up to 50mbits down 15mbits up according to www.speedtest.net so just a 10mbit drop (download)
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Why not connect them to your HH lan and Mac mini, rather than between BTOR  modem and HH wan. At least that way your not limiting your xDSL  speeds.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have a switch in the same room as the BT hub and Mac mini so I have mac mini conected to LAN1 and switch via long ethernet CAT6 cable on LAn2 which is on other side of the room
dick:quote