Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Optic is no longer subject to traffic management/prioritisation

gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Fibre Optic is no longer subject to traffic management/prioritisation

Thanks Matt,
I will, I know it's a VERY VERY VERY slim chance of it making the difference and as I said to the chap last night I can't really fault 6.5MB/s but I am one of these guys who if I can/am able too I will push every little bit extra out of my line.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Pro doesn't affect your line in any way though - just the prioritisation. Still, let us know how it goes, hope it gives you the edge you were looking for.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Of course, I've had downloads (non P2P) cap out at around 8.75MB/s (via FTP/HTTP) so I know the line is capable of being faster than the 6.5MB/s it normally sits at. Will test over the coming week and see what happens,
Can you also pass my thanks onto the chap last night, Fantastic gent and very very willing to try and help, was a shame he got muddle up/provided missinformation/confused but I can't blame him.
adie:quote
gnicholson8
Grafter

Well something must have been going on, whether it's pure luck or it is making a difference, I ran a test with two torrents from a dedicated server and hit 7791 KB/s so around 7.6MB down.. a 1MB improvement. Will deffo keep an eye on it.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ok.  Let us know how it goes.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Definitely nothing else using the connection on your local side? If I need to test a download, I tend to go for Usenet and get full line speed, I don't tend to use P2P but happy to give this a go and compare like for like against the same Usenet download over the weekend.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
gnicholson8
Grafter

No, nothing local side, Wifi disabled and no browsers or anything else running n the machine,
tbh 7.6MB is a lot closer than I was expecting so I am getting happy Smiley
Kelly
Hero

Are you still seeing the performance increase for P2P traffic?
Kelly Dorset
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Are you still seeing the performance increase for P2P traffic?

I was... (getting speeds of around 7.7Mbit/s with P2P (where as before I was hitting 6.7Mbit/s (obviously when connected to dedicated, private servers)
But a fault has appeared on my line between the DP and my socket so my phone line is cut off at present and my fibre speeds have dropped to 40Mbit/s so doesn't perform as it should.
However I noticed on the support question on my member centre, after my initial telephone call that this was posted
"Customer Agrees to Engineer Charge: Y"

This was never mentioned to me regarding any engineer call our charges, I assume this is if it is an internal fault, however I was told no appointment was necessary so it can't be a problem with my internal wiring? right?
Kelly
Hero

They should have said that if the problem ends up being your equipment (router, phone extensions etc) that a charge may be liable and asked you to agree with that.
Kelly Dorset
gnicholson8
Grafter

No, never did specify that during the call but he did also specify that access to my property wasn't required as the fault found was External.
Only other thing he took was three dates that if the engineer couldn't fix it externally, would be used to book a engineer visit but he didn't actually book it. as he said this is extremely unlikely as the fault test shows this won't be necessary.
I'm plugged in to the master socket and tried two different handsets (although both wireless, one is brand new) and no change so I don't think it is with my internal wiring.