Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Internet speeds problems?

valve90210
Dabbler

Fibre Internet speeds problems?

Hi All
Only had my unlimited fibre connection installed yesterday and was very impressed with it. However today it's being very odd. Earlier I was disconnected from a game of BF3 as my connection to the server timed out.
Now usenet and torrents are both going at a crawl..maxin out about 15kb.
A download speed test from thinkbroadband has maxed out at 4.2MB/sec which seems maybe a tad slow for a connection which yesterday was showing at 68mbps on speedtest.net.
Having read the speed faults thread here are my results:
Line stats I can't seem to find  despite having read the link in the speed faults thread.

BT wholesale performance test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 58.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-71.31 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 71.31 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Plusnet result:
Postcode:Phone exchange:MAIDSTONEEstimated line speed:49Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-03-19 12:35:54Current line speed: 78 Mb

Usenet is virtually at a stand still on both the servers I use, and torrents are also very slow.

Also, I've noticed that I'm getting  quite a few firewall recorded events on the router, for example:
FIREWALL replay check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 193.179.3.20 Dst ip: 87.115.156.0 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
Does this look like there is a problem with my line?
If not any ideas why usenet and torrents are both very slow (much worse than my old 3mbps connection) Is it due to traffic shaping? If so I'd be annoyed as I went with this service because of the lack of traffic shaping!!!
Any hep very much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
valve90210
Dabbler

Re: Fibre Internet speeds problems?

This morning things seem ok again, usenet going at ful speed and working well.
Was this a problem somewhere or was it traffic shaping? If so why, I'm on unlimited and shouldn't be suffering from traffic shaping at all right???
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi valve90210,
Welcome to our community forums.
I've checked over your connection and can see no issues at all, your speeds over the first few days may fluctuate a little while your line settles down, although it shouldn't be a drastic as you experienced.
I'd suggest monitoring it over the next few days and keep us updated on how you get on.
Chris
njay
Grafter

I find my download speed tends to drop somewhat, particularly by about 11pm. Speedtest.net and BTw can show as high as 70Mbs during the afternoons but drop as low as single digits by 11pm. Uploads dono't vary but nearly as much ad typically stay between 15-18Mbs at all times
Touch wood, my IP profile hasn't changed from 77.44Mb in nearly a week so I've just put it down to congestion.
hth
valve90210
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi valve90210,
Welcome to our community forums.
I've checked over your connection and can see no issues at all, your speeds over the first few days may fluctuate a little while your line settles down, although it shouldn't be a drastic as you experienced.
I'd suggest monitoring it over the next few days and keep us updated on how you get on.
Chris

Thanks I shall keep an eye on it as see how it goes.
The annoying thing was, speedtest seemded to be fine and I was getting results around the 68mbps mark and internet was fast, it ws just usenet and torrents which were crawling along at 15KBps max it really was as if it was being throttled.
Quote from: njay
I find my download speed tends to drop somewhat, particularly by about 11pm. Speedtest.net and BTw can show as high as 70Mbs during the afternoons but drop as low as single digits by 11pm. Uploads dono't vary but nearly as much ad typically stay between 15-18Mbs at all times
Touch wood, my IP profile hasn't changed from 77.44Mb in nearly a week so I've just put it down to congestion.
hth

As above, my connection still seemed to be a nice high speed, around the 68mbps mark on speedtest but my downloads were crawling along at 15KBps, annoying since I used to get about 300KBps on my old non fibre 3mbps connection!!!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's nothing obvious on your connection that should cause this, let me know how it performs if you can try it again later tonight.
valve90210
Dabbler

Just tried downloading something this evening and my download speed seems to be way lower than it has been.
My connection has been giving me downloads of about 8MB/s but this evening it's maxing out at a very disappointing 2.4MB/s or there abouts.
My connection speed is still showing as 78MB on my details page, speed test been showing from 40mbps  - 60mbps rather randomly
Also doing, speedtests gives me a ping of around 16ms whereas it was sitting around 4ms for the last month or so.
I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting to get onto different gateways but it's not made any difference so far.
Is there any reason why my connection has slowed down?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Your Current Line speed (Login required) should match the BT IP profile although that obviously hasn't updated, but that wouldn't be causing this problem. I'm wondering if this is a combination of Congestion causing general speed slowdown and possibly a Traffic Management problem affecting your Usenet and Torrents. You can quickly check what Traffic Management you should be getting here.
Are you familiar with Wireshark?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your profile is set correctly, I'd suggest running through our faults troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net and leave it with our faults team for testing.