Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Installed

samb
Grafter

Fibre Installed

Hello,
I am really just opening this thread to keep track of my fibre install experience.
So the Openreach engineer came today, it was actually a contractor M.J Quinn (he was a nice chap, happy to chat). He was a bit confused about what the data extension kit was and therefore either he didn't have it OR just didn't want to install it not sure. So he decided as I wanted the modem upstairs to make my current master socket an extension and run a wire upstairs from what is now the extension (old master socket) and install the new master socket there. Strange way of doing it I thought but he knows better than me.
So after he left I checked my speed and it was 10mbps (odd I thought) so gave plus.net a call, spoke to a gentleman that went through some things and had to do something with the provisioning team. He said what he had done should sort the issue and the speed should creep up and if it didn't reboot the modem in a few hours. Called about just over an hour a go and no speed increase just yet.
Fingers crossed this go to plan.
Thanks
Sam
20 REPLIES 20
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Fibre Installed

Quote from: samb
So he decided as I wanted the modem upstairs to make my current master socket an extension and run a wire upstairs from what is now the extension (old master socket) and install the new master socket there. Strange way of doing it I thought but he knows better than me.

Sam,
"He knows better than me" is a big presumption!  Cheesy
For the purpose of clarity, if I call the "new" extension socket in the old master socket NX and the new master socket MX, it might make the following easier to read / understand - it certainly made it easier for me to write!  Grin

I'm no expert on this, but I suggest that this is far from ideal.  The first socket on the A-B inbound pair should be the MASTER socket.  With the new VDSL faceplates, extensions are wired from the FILTERED side of the faceplate.
If the contractor put the A-B pair on to NX pins 2 & 5 and ran the extension wire from those pins to MX, then NX is on the main A-B pair and any phone device plugged into it must be filtered using a dangling filter plugged into the phone socket.
There is some possibility that he used two pairs out of the "extension" wire - one joined to the A-B pair in the back of NX's box (not connected to the faceplate and another connected to the NX faceplate.  In this case the A-B pair would have been taken to the back of MX and the NX extension pair wired to the filtered side of the VSDL faceplate.  In this configuration, a filter would not be required at NX.
I suggest that you carefully remove the cover of NX and see how it has been wired.  Depending upon what you find, you might need a BTOR visit to do it properly!

To realise any potential speed increase would require you to drop and restart the PPP session.  You can do this through the router interface.  A controlled drop and reestablishment avoids the DLM doing nasty things to the line's configuration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samb
Grafter

Hello,
Okay here is what it looks like.
samb
Grafter

Hello,
Results with nothing currently running on the network.

Estimated speed 79mbps.
Thanks
Sam
samb
Grafter

Hello,
Wife was downloading a programme from BBC Iplayer onto her phone.

samb
Grafter

Hello,
Doing some research there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about wether or not the moving of the master socket etc is the right thing to do.
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Moving-master-socket-VS-data-extension-kit/...
Regards,
Sam
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It looks like the engineer has just extended the incoming A-B pair(blue/orange) to the new master(MX), disconnecting the old(NX) socket completely.
Socket NX is now dead I assume ? although I'm confused as to why he connected the brown/green pair of the incoming line to socket NX since they are not used on the incoming line!.
The only issue is that your wiring is old (pre 1980 from the colours) and is not twisted pair and therefore if the distance from NX to MX is considerable then has the potential for interference from electrical noise. The 'data extension' cable he should have used is to CAT5 sepc and therefore much less susceptible to noise.
Having said all that your speeds don't seem too bad...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi samb,
I've just taken a look at your line and it's syncing at a full 80/20. Your Speed Profile on our systems is also set correctly. The Speed Tests that you have run, are they Wired or Wireless? If Wireless, can you try a further Speed Test with an Ethernet Cable connected?
samb
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
It looks like the engineer has just extended the incoming A-B pair(blue/orange) to the new master(MX), disconnecting the old(NX) socket completely.
Socket NX is now dead I assume ? although I'm confused as to why he connected the brown/green pair of the incoming line to socket NX since they are not used on the incoming line!.
The only issue is that your wiring is old (pre 1980 from the colours) and is not twisted pair and therefore if the distance from NX to MX is considerable then has the potential for interference from electrical noise. The 'data extension' cable he should have used is to CAT5 sepc and therefore much less susceptible to noise.
Having said all that your speeds don't seem too bad...

Hello,
No NX works because thats where the phone is plugged into. The distance between NX and MX is probably less than 10m.
Thanks
Sam
samb
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi samb,
I've just taken a look at your line and it's syncing at a full 80/20. Your Speed Profile on our systems is also set correctly. The Speed Tests that you have run, are they Wired or Wireless? If Wireless, can you try a further Speed Test with an Ethernet Cable connected?

Hello,
Here is the latest speed test (ethernet). Looking much better.

With the speed estimate of 79 do you think it will go higher than what it is now?
Thanks
Sam
plustrev
Grafter

Well on the wiring issue the engineer appears to have done the job OK, with a little reservation.
He has connected the blue and orange of the cable coming from outside to the blue and orange of the new cable going upstairs and then connected that upstairs to the AB of the master socket. Then he has connected the green and brown of the new cable to the faceplate of the master socket and connected that downstairs to the now extension socket.
The reservation is that the "new"cable used is not current telephone cable. It was new was it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It looks as though the issue is the speeds being quite a bit lower over Wireless.
It might be worth changing your Wireless Channel to see if you see any improvement http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
samb
Grafter

Quote from: plustrev
Well on the wiring issue the engineer appears to have done the job OK, with a little reservation.
He has connected the blue and orange of the cable coming from outside to the blue and orange of the new cable going upstairs and then connected that upstairs to the AB of the master socket. Then he has connected the green and brown of the new cable to the faceplate of the master socket and connected that downstairs to the now extension socket.
The reservation is that the "new"cable used is not current telephone cable. It was new was it?

Yeah the cable he put in up to the new master socket was from a roll of cable he had.
-Sam
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Then he has connected the green and brown of the new cable to the faceplate of the master socket
I must go to specsavers! :(. I'd somehow mixed up the incoming and new cables.
The distance between NX and MX is probably less than 10m.
That shouldn't be a problem, even though cable is not twisted pair and that tends to be confirmed by Chris saying you're synching at the max speed.
Yeah the cable he put in up to the new master socket was from a roll of cable he had
I'm surprised he had a roll of OLD style cable Huh

samb
Grafter

Hello,
Okay so we are thinking its fit for purpose in that case?
Thanks
Sam
dick:quote