cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install questions???

oXo

Fibre Install questions???

Hi guys
Currently have the normal broadband and am considering upgrading to fibre, but I have a few questions.
I currently have a double telephone socket, one socket is for the telephone and one is for the broadband.
I have a lead from the broadband socket running to my bedroom, this plugs in to the technicolor router TG582n. Then I have my computers connected to my router via ethernet.
What would change if I ordered a Fibre product? Would I be using the same leads etc?
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre Install questions???

Hi oXo The engineer will install and connect a BT open reach modem to the master socket, Fibre uses Ethernet so you will then have to buy and run a Ethernet cable from the modem to the router so the broadband cable you currently have will be of no use.
The master socket should be replaced with a Mk2 filtered version although as you already have a filter master socket of some kind already they may not change it.
As for your router the fibre router that plusnet uses is the same as the one your using for ADSL but it has moded firmware to use the first Ethernet port to connect to the open reach modem, you should be able to use your current router with Moded firmware instead of having to pay the £5 for plusnet to send you one, I believe the router firmware can be updated by Plusnet if your not capable enough to do it yourself, although i would ask if that is correct first.
you then connect your computers up to the router as normal be it with one less Ethernet port as one is used to connect to the modem.

oXo

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of having it setup another way..
As I already have an extension cable from the master socket to my router in the bedroom, I think its an RJ11 terminated cable, then is it possible to use this and have the router supplied by BT in my bedroom, or alternately purchase a draytek router and use that instead?
So I guess my question is, is the RJ11 extension cable from the master socket to my bedroom suitable? or will the new faceplate have an ethernet port instead of an RJ11 socket?
Thanks
GeordieMark
Grafter

Nope, FTTC has to be connected to the master socket, however they'll run a data extension (up to 30 metres) would that reach your room?
Basically RJ11 won't be suitable, it'd have to be an Ethernet cable unfortunately
oXo

Hey
Hi Mark_ , been doing some research and I think your wrong or have misunderstood the question.
A V1 faceplate as supplied by BT for ADSL has a telephone socket and an RJ45 socket for the ADSL connection.
A V2 faceplate as supplied by BT for VDSL has the same connectors.
Routers have an RJ11 socket for the ADSL/VDSL connection.
My extension cable is an RJ11 to RJ11, these fit into an RJ45 socket.
I have it running from the master socket on the ADSL faceplate to my router in the bedroom.
So in theory, as long as the modem supplied by BT has an RJ11 socket I can still use that extension cable. Then run a normal ethernet cable to my router from the modem.
Or, I buy a Draytek Vigor 2760 which I know has an RJ11 connector and an internal modem.
Thanks
grahameys
Dabbler

oXo,
What you think is correct, it will work that way. However:
1. BT Openreach won't set it up that way for you, they will insist on the modem being connected to the master socket. Most get around this by asking them to move the master socket, but depending on the engineer  or if they are a contractor, they may or may not oblige.
2. FTTC is a lot more sensitive than ADSL. The long length of the RJ11 extension cable may cause problems, giving an unreliable connection. If your RJ11 extension is high quality using BT grade extension cabling then it will probably be ok, if not I would look at upgrading that to one that is.
I had a similar experience a few months back and the engineer would only leave the modem by the master socket at the front door. I then used a BT grade extension to move it where I wanted.
G.
oXo

Hi G
Yeah, that would be ok.
The RJ11 extension cable i,m using was supplied by BT and is not of the flat variety, I'm sure is twisted internally, so I will try it, if it doesnt work, I,ll buy everything I need and make one out of CAT 6 cable.
Thanks for the input.
oXo