cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install - data extension cable

ajs74
Dabbler

Re: Fibre Install - data extension cable

Hi Jojo, those results were with the BT Speedtester via ethernet. I'll have a go via the modem as you suggest and report back.
Have just noticed that my profile in the Member Centre is down to 20Meg now, really disappointed with that after the initial 35Meg thoughput I was getting on day one. Still a lot better than the 0.8meg I was getting via ADSL! Smiley I have now signed up for the 80/20 trail and am just waiting for the changes to go through (had a confirmation email at 11am this morning) and I'll see how things go then.
Any idea on the price structure for 80/20 yet after the trial? I'm hoping it to be similar to TalkTalk's pricing (i.e. an extra £5)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ajs74,
20Mbps is the profile we used for the fibre trialists so it will let you get the most from your line, it's rot a restrictive profile.
Jojo Smiley
ajs74
Dabbler

Hi Jojo, looks like 20Mb is all I'll get then as speedtests now are all coming in at 19-20mb 😞
ajs74
Dabbler

I just carried out another test on the BT Speedtester and my IP profile is 38Mb. Should I be concerned that my download speed is at the 19-20Mb mark or should I really be getting higher?
ffox
Pro

The BT speedtest seems to be giving everyone low results these days.  Their beta test (above 24Mbps) appears to be better.  This speedtest is working well for most people:
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: ajs74
Have just noticed that my profile in the Member Centre is down to 20Meg now

What Plusnet dont want you to know is, that the "20meg" profile in the members centre is obviously a bodged profile (i seem to remember it was first Bodged on the release of the 'up to 20mbit' product) - Basically it removes any top speed restriction on the Down/Up link at Plusnets end and leaves it all down to BTs profile/capping system.

The defence was that it used to be required for the Ellacoya systems to function correctly, whereas now PN arent reliant on 622 pipes, and the BT profiling system works pretty much properly, all the PN profile does is reduce the top line speed of each line (and, with that it means PN can spread the bandwidth over more customers (as each customer now saves 0.5 - 1 meg of bandwidth for them))
It's about time PN removed the Members centre restriction imo, and allowed the BT system to do its job, and stop being tight (and be a bit more honest???) with bandwidth and allowing the full use of each line... but thats just my 2p.
Quote from: ffox
The BT speedtest seems to be giving everyone low results these days.

Works fine here. Full line speed.
Regards
ajs74
Dabbler

Quote from: ffox
The BT speedtest seems to be giving everyone low results these days.   Their beta test (above 24Mbps) appears to be better.   This speedtest is working well for most people:
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

Just tried this one and it goves me:
Date of Speed Test: 2012-03-20 19:56:05
Download Speed: 21433 kbps (2679.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1575 kbps (196.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
So much the same as all the others really! Just wish I was somewhere near the 35Mb mark again like I was for the first few hours after being connected last week, had no problems at all and then it just dropped right down  Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

Java just got its knickers in a twist doing my speedtest, but i got a quote which is what i was after anyway...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-58.69 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 58.69 Mbps

If that is set to 20mbps, then this is why you're not seeing anything above that - it shouldnt be due to the 20mbps set in the members centre.
From my members centre...
Estimated line speed:Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed: 20 Mb

Just done the bbmax speedtest...
Date of Speed Test: 2012-03-20 20:51:15
Download Speed: 56762 kbps (7095.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 15846 kbps (1980.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

So as you can see, 20mbps has no bearing on limit on my connection. (80/20 trial)
Regards
ajs74
Dabbler

Well, my speed seems to have fallen apart and i'm now achieving less than 10Mb on testing sites
matt_2k34
Grafter

forget testing sites.
What is your actual throughput? - Try downloading a Linux ISO via torrent/HTTP or a download from Microsoft (Service pack) - how many KB/s ?
Using a program like Networx will give you a better idea of what you're actually receiving.
Regards
ajs74
Dabbler

For completeness, I have carried out another BT Speedtester (wired connection) and throughput figures are below:
Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
13 Mbps

0 Mbps 60.73 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-60.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 60.73 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
14.02 Mbps

0 Kbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.02Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I just downloaded something from downloads.com and download speed was 3.5MB/s. I tried something via a torrent client and was getting between 1-1.5MB/s.
So, since signing up on the 14th March for Fibre, my speed dropped from 35.65Mb/s to a steady 20Mb/s and since signing up for the 80/20 trial, my speed has dropped even further to 13Mb/s despite the large increase to my IP profile. Also, throughput for certain use still seems to be managed despite the fact I have signed up to Plusnet Pro.
Doesn't seem right to me, anyone at Plusnet able to investigate/comment?
Many thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@ajs74
Have a look at my post which is reply 616 to this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.608.html
could you give that a try for me please?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ajs74
Dabbler

@_Adam_Walker_
So, I have run the usual FTTC ADSL diagnostic and got:
Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
28 Mbps

0 Mbps 60.73 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 28 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-60.73 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 60.73 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
11.34 Mbps

0 Kbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I then ran the beta tester (above 24Mbps) and the speeds are ranging between 45-53Mbps. Downloading something via downloads.com, I was getting a max throughput of 4.2Mb/s (which seems a little slow for around the 53Mbps mark reported on the speedtester - I think that's the sort of throughput for around a 30Mbps speed) and if I try to download something via a torrent client, throughput maxes out at 2Mb/s which is really poor, especially as I have paid extra for Plusnet Pro.
Running a test on speedtest.net, it reports a 30-32Mbps download speed, 4.19Mb/s throughput. All the above was completed whilst connected via ethernet to the router.
Something doesn't seem quite right to me! Huh
Anything I can do to improve things?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ajs74
If you run a speed test directly from your modem we can rule out any issues with the router. There's a guide on our library on how to do that for Windows Vista/Windows 7 or Windows XP.
Jojo Smiley
ajs74
Dabbler

Jojo, I will endeavour to do that over the weekend and report back