Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install: What to know & expect

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Fibre Install: What to know & expect

Finally got permission to get fibre installed  Smiley
Just before I order the fibre package, few things I want to know:
Extension Cabiling: Is the cable just a back to back RJ11 taken from the master socket to the modem? Or can an engineer fit a box allowing the RJ11 to be terminated at a box nearer to the OR modems location and then a short cable from the termination point to the modem?
Router: Are Plusnet supplying technicolour ones or Netgears now? (Going to get a PN one just incase my own router fails whilst on FTTC).
80/20 Trial: When looking at BT ADSL Checker, it just tells me I can get 40/6.5mbps, even though the cab is literally 30-50m down the road. Checking everyone on the same PCP, they get the same kind of estimates, noting above 40meg.  Can I still go on the trial?
Plus, is there anything specific to know about the install and what to do? (IE: What to have ready, dont punch the guy in the face if he's being difficult or very late, do I need to unplug ADSL/Phone for the whole install day etc)
Cheers!
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre Install: What to know & expect

Hi Amanha,
Quote from: Amanha
Extension Cabiling: Is the cable just a back to back RJ11 taken from the master socket to the modem? Or can an engineer fit a box allowing the RJ11 to be terminated at a box nearer to the OR modems location and then a short cable from the termination point to the modem?

Yes it's a RJ11 cable up to 30M long. They're only supposed to pin it to skirting boards/door frames but I've heard of them relocating the socket (I presume that's only when it's been easier to do that)
Router: Are Plusnet supplying technicolour ones or Netgears now?

Yes, we supply the Technicolor TG582n and it's flashed for fibre.
80/20 Trial: When looking at BT ADSL Checker, it just tells me I can get 40/6.5mbps, even though the cab is literally 30-50m down the road. Checking everyone on the same PCP, they get the same kind of estimates, noting above 40meg.  Can I still go on the trial?

Once you're up and running, if you get the full 40Mbps then we'll put you on the trial. It's only people who don't reach 40 in the first place that are not worth putting on it.
Plus, is there anything specific to know about the install and what to do? (IE: What to have ready, dont punch the guy in the face if he's being difficult or very late, do I need to unplug ADSL/Phone for the whole install day etc)

It's a lot quicker than it used to be, so I don't see you being without your phone for too long.
Jojo Smiley
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Aha awesome!
One thing though, under the "account summary" thingybob, it shows I have Extra 60GB, which was ordered yesterday! The funny thing is that I ordered fibre, not my current ADSL Package. 
09/07/2012 // BP01486268 // Extra with included 60GB bandwidth // £11.49(monthly) // Complete

But the order for the Fibre router is there, so Im thinking it could just be a error on PN systems?
Is this alright or should I be worried?  Undecided

Cheers.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Amanha
I'm just looking over this now, something does't look right to me but don't worry I'll make sure we get you sorted.
I'll get back to you ASAP
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to follow up, we do have an appointment booked for between 08:00 and 13:00 on the 17th.
Apologies as you should have received an SMS to inform you of this, further checks reveal that we have an issue with that at the moment so it's being looked into on problem investigation: 71065
PS I'll get this updated on your account too.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Cheers Adam, thats awesome.
I shall be looking foward to fibre  Cheesy - Was slightly alarmed at what service notes stated!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem, sorry for the confusion!
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team