cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra activated today - but d/l speed slower than expected

asdfghjkl
Grafter

Fibre Extra activated today - but d/l speed slower than expected

The BT engineer left about 30-60 minutes ago.  The plusnet site says my current line speed is 78Mbps but using my own router, I get 26Mbps down.  Using the technicolor one, I get 20Mbps down.  According to various servers at speedtest.net anyway.
When I registered, it was estimated I would get 72Mbps downstream so I am really disappointed.  Is there anyway to fix this so I get something close to what I was expecting? I'd have signed up for the slower package if I thought I'd only get 26Mbps.
6 REPLIES 6
DanHodby
Grafter

Re: Fibre Extra activated today - but d/l speed slower than expected

As far as I can see the line is syncing at 75MBps but I'm unable to run a full test as the order has only just completed.
Its worth monitoring it over the weekend let I'll check again on Monday if you are still having problems.
Dan
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Dan, I'm so sorry.  It looks like the integrated Realtek LAN adapter in one of my desktop computers is faulty or just rubbish.   I had the bright idea to try my other desktop and I'm getting 70Mbps down - so consider me a very pleased new customer after all.
Thanks for the quick response anyway.  Smiley
dick:quote
DanHodby
Grafter

Lol...
Sorted! Wink
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Sorry for breaking the forum rules on my second ever post.  Tongue
I've never had fibre before and only ever had a connection of around 15Mbps previously (ADSL2+) so I had no idea that LAN adapter was even dodgy.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Don't bother about that Forum Rule - it probably the most frequently broken by new posters
As a point of interest don't you transfer files between the computers as that would have triggered alarm bells for me
Just to add - I am stuck on about 3.4Mbps with fibre arriving from next year whatever that means with a likely speed of 30Mbps  Sad Sad
asdfghjkl
Grafter

Thanks. Smiley  I normally acquaint myself with posting guidelines at forums I've never used before, so I annoyed myself by skipping them on this occasion.
As for "my desktops" I was being liberal with the truth for the sake of being brief. Wink  One of them is actually my sons (I bought it) so no, I don't think we have ever transferred files between them.
I'll just grab a USB/LAN adapter from Amazon to get around this problem until I'm ready to buy a new computer.
Just to add - I am stuck on about 3.4Mbps with fibre arriving from next year whatever that means with a likely speed of 30Mbps  Sad Sad

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  For what it's worth, even 25Mbps feels like a major upgrade from the 13-14Mbps I was getting on ADSL2+.  I'm beginning to wonder if anything more than 40Mbps is overkill unless you need to do lots of downloading.  That's why my son wanted fibre extra.  He uses Steam and some games would take 5-10 hours to download even at those speeds.