Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband speed questions.

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre Broadband speed questions.

About one hour after the engineer installed fibre broadband, I had about 35Mb on my wired PC. (BT test)
The engineer said that there should be no differences of speed with wireless.
I have connected wirelessly to the internet with my samsung NC10 netbook, and after redoing a BT test it has gone down to around 6Mb.
Why is this? Is it the age of my netbook?
Is Fibre the same as ADSL, does it take a few days to stabilise the speed?
Is there something wrong with speedtest.net, I cannot do any tests anymore, it just get stuck at "selecting best server based on ping".
11 REPLIES 11
vultura
Rising Star

Re: Fibre Broadband speed questions.

Welcome to the forums.
My experience is that Atom based products like the NC10 (have one myself) will affect speed test results, as will using wireless.
You can see results of my speedtests on an Atom based nettop and an Intel Quad core here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108726.msg931761.html#msg931761 - I didn't realise quite how much effect lower powered hardware would have on the results.
BT would say the line takes 10 days to "train", I read somewhere that it should be stable within a couple of days.
I had the same type of problems with speedtest.net, not sure why though.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Lolaan
Rising Star

It seems you are right, I have redone a test with my broadband speed on my wired PC, and it shows 34MB download, and 8.4MB upload.
After this, I have redone another my broadband speed test with the netbook (wireless) and it showed 5.1MB, down from the previous 6MB.
There is a big difference between my wired PC desktop and my wireless netbook.
I suppose I can't do nothing about it, but I wouldn't like it to go down too low on my netbook, it looks like the speed is sliding down more and more.
Lolaan
Rising Star

The wired desktop seems alright, but for the wireless, my upload speed seems stable but my download speed is sliding down and  is lower than my upload speed. Surely that's not normal, even on an old netbook?
inhost
Grafter

Before you go blaming your netbook 100% you may wish to read: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lolaan,
Any chance you have any other wireless devices handy so we can confirm whether or not it's the netbook? If other devices are working at faster speeds then chances are that is what's slowing things down for you.
Lolaan
Rising Star

The only other things I have are using the android platform, so I can't do a reliable speedtest on them as no java. Though I did a mybroadband Speed test on my tablet and it showed a speed of 32.7MB, but it says that MBS may display misleading test results, so I don't take it  seriously.
Tonight, I have redone a test on my netbook, and it has gone up a bit (9.19 MB), which is more like it, as now the download speed is higher (even if ever so slightly) than the upload speed. How long it's gonna stay there, I don't know.
I would not expect the same speed on my netbook than on my wired PC anyway, with my netbook being quite old, however I would expect it to be a lot better than what I had on ADSL broadband. If it can stay at around 9-10MB on my netbook, it'll be good. But following what I saw yesterday, it can fluctuates quite a bit, and can crash down quite low.
What I can't explain is why the upload speed is so stable compared to the download speed.
I am hoping the download speed will stabilise once the line finish training,
vultura
Rising Star

There is an android specific test on thinkbroadband, not used it myself so cannot comment on how well it works.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/android.html
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Every smartphone I've encountered so far (not that many admittedly) with 'n' wi-fi only seems to operate at 65Mb/s connection (n-lite), this would probably limit throughput to around 30Mbit in each direction, even in ideal circumstances.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We see a surprising number of speed test results submitted on Twitter that are screenshots of iPhones 😕
While it's great for testing in situations like this, we wouldn't recommend results are taken as gospel. Having said that though even if it is an android mobile, if it's seeing faster speeds than the netbook over wireless then it definitely points to an issue with the netbook which is what I'm hoping to establish here - whether or not that's the case.
vultura
Rising Star

Another option would be to have a friend connect his/her laptop using wireless and run a speedtest on that.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Right, I have done 3 tests :
PC Desktop (wired, bt speedtest)
---------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD : 34.65 MB    ---  UPLOAD : 8.49 MB 

Tablet PC (tested with thinkbroadband speed test beta)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD : 30.9 MB  ---  UPLOAD : 8.50 MB

Netbook (wireless, with BT speedtest)
---------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD : 8.53 MB  ---  UPLOAD : 8.47

So, that is confirming that it's the netbook which is the problem, not the router or the connection.
I suppose I can't do nothing about it but to consider buying a more up to date netbook, as long as it's not atom based? (which is not really an option right now)
What would make the download speed go so low compared to other devices, but the upload speed seems about right?