cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband less than half advertised speed

parisbeach
Dabbler

Fibre Broadband less than half advertised speed

I am now receiveing less than half the advertised speed. I have run various tests and the always come up at 30mb when i am quoted as 77mb. This is absoloutley ridiculous i pay for the pro add on and am still being slowed down. I am not happy. Not the first time this has happened and more than likely wont be the last. I have tried on another router with the same effect i have tried bt's tool unfortunately it gets stuck.so cant posty the results at the moment i will keep trying and post when i can
21 REPLIES 21
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre Broadband less than half advertised speed

Your paying for pro add on, why ?
DanHodby
Grafter

Are these tests being performed on the wireless? I assume they are looking at the results.
Can you run some tests on a wired connection using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Thanks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: 11110_110
Your paying for pro add on, why ?

He must be frequently maxing out his line and wants things like P2P to make things like streaming keep buffering and be unpleasant to use.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Another thing - the up to 'advertised' speed does not mean you'll necessarily be able to get that. It depends on your distance to the fibre cabinet.
parisbeach
Dabbler

No these are off a wired connection from a tower computer that is six months old and until last week was getting 72mb download then i run a test this weekend as the kids are moaning they cant play there games and streaming keeps buffering and those the results. tried several times with the bt wholesale test but it keeps crashing grr.
AndyH
Grafter

30Mbps should be easily enough for several people to stream.
When you run the tests, is anyone else using the network or are there any background programs running that could be using the bandwidth? Are you running any P2P software when trying the download test?
What's your current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
parisbeach
Dabbler

Nope currently am the only one in the house. 3 teenagers in the house all gamers with pads and computers on at the same time. also have a vodafone suresignal which is currently dissconnected and have turned the router wifi off so there is only my computer connected. This is quiet time as no one else is here to use it and am still getting the same results line check says 77.7mb but have had this before when i was on normal broadband. speed would drop for no reason and always turned out that it was something in the plusnet system when the engineer came and spoke to them . why when fibre came i got it straight away thought this was a thing of the past.
AndyH
Grafter

parisbeach
Dabbler

as per asked line is 77.4. results are as follows
parisbeach
Dabbler

I have noticed when i dial out on the home phone the phone has considerable background noise I wonder if that could be causing it.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

if you line is noisy then quite possibly.
you should try a quiet line test to check - phone plugged into test socket with everything else unplugged.
parisbeach
Dabbler

Have unplugged the router and its still the same have a bt wholsale main socket with seperate slots for broadband and phone. still noisy actually sounds like a crossed line like someones listening in
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

parisbeach
Dabbler

Yes i have sounds like a humming sound with the occasional pop