cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband half as fast on WIFI compared to wired.

traceyisland17

Fibre Broadband half as fast on WIFI compared to wired.

Hi
I upgraded to Fibre yesterday with Plusnet and my line speed is shown as 57mb download and 20mb upload. I get between 18 and 20mb upload consistantly, but on WIFI I get 22-26mb download speed. So I went wired and get 46-48mb download but the same upload speed. Now I know that WIFI looses some speed but nearly half seems a lot, especially as the upload isn't affected.
I'm not overly technical so go easy on me, is this normal? I understand line speed is only an indicator and I would be delighted with 40mb download. I just can't see why the WIFI is so much slower? I've checked the router channel and mine is the only one on channel 6 on the street. It's not near the floor and I have placed my laptop next to it and this has not affected the speed wirelessly. I know my fibre will take a few days to settle down, but it seems that the WIFI is significantly slower for no obvious reason, especially as the upload is the same wired or on WIFI.
Anyone else had this before I call support?
8 REPLIES 8
traceyisland17

Re: Fibre Broadband half as fast on WIFI compared to wired.

To clarify, I get 22-25mb download when wireless and 44-48mb download when wired.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

yes it's normal, I get 71Mbs wired and 34Mbs wireless. Your wired connection will be rated at least 100Mbps where as wireless although touted at more than that has other factors which slow it down considerably.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
traceyisland17

Is there anything I can do to get a better wireless speed or is that what everyone has? It just seems a huge drop when I am sat in the same room as the router?
Can you also explain why the upload speed isn't affected by being wireless?
hazzardboy7
Grafter

Quote from: traceyisland17
Is there anything I can do to get a better wireless speed or is that what everyone has? It just seems a huge drop when I am sat in the same room as the router?

hi
if you check my post about this very thing, there is some info which might help you.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: traceyisland17

Because upload is already well below the wireless capability.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
traceyisland17

Hazardboy, can you post a link to your post?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The link is http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107987.0.html (if you click on the name you can see a list of previous posts).
traceyisland17

Hi, thanks I've had a look. However I think I may have sussed it out. My iPhone and iPad now have download speeds, wirelessly, of 35mb according to the Speedtest app. My PC seems 'capped' at 24.  I assumed my adapter was N rated as the laptop was bought in 2010 but it seems Dell sneaked a crappy G rated adapter inside it, which explains why I cannot get any quicker speeds.
I'm going to try a 300 N rated USB adaptor and see if this makes a difference (I suspect it will match the iPad speed which is good enough for me!)