bazzer
Pro

Re: Fibre Broadband - Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem

Working beautifully  Smiley
bazzer
Pro

Hi,
Today Openreach have installed fibre and the engineer connected my Netgear N600 ADSL+ Modem Router to the BT Openreach modem.
I cannot get connected to the internet although the fibre is up and running to the Openreach modem.
My Netgear router does show ADSL on the rear but because it has a Cable / Fiber port as per the link provided above I was under the impression that I could use it with Fibre broadband.
The product spec states: Built-in ADSL2+ modem and WAN Gigabit Ethernet port for cable/fiber combined with a wireless router create the Ultimate Integrated Home Gateway

I have since connected the supplied Plusnet router and everything is working fine but I really want to use my Netgear as it is relatively new and has an extra port.
Is my Netgear capable of being used with Fibre given that it has a fibre port and the product spec indicates it can and, if so, should it automatically recognise that fibre is connected as I cannot see anywhere within the modem settings to change from ADSL to fibre?
Thanks for your help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This is the DGND3700v2 is it? Didn't it come with a manual that says anything useful?
bazzer
Pro

The manual just shows where to put the relevant cable. It gives no instructions for setting changes for fibre hence I assumed that the router would automatically assign these but it does nothing.
My router states it is ADSL but I believe the fibre is vDSL? However, if I have a port for fibre I am assuming this is vDSL?I really don't much in this area of computers!
Anotherone
Champion

The WAN port you should just plug into the BT Modem as you do the TG582n, but don't do that yet, download the manual from here and have a read. I'm just looking at it now. p46 may be the place to look at. I'm assuming the drop down box on the top right you need to check to see what the options are. Also the one under WAN Preference on the first line down, shown in the manual as Auto-Detect.
Anyway, when you have a better idea what to try, connect your computer to it, but not the WAN port yet. You'll need to Repair/Re-establish your computer network connection because the Gateway and Network addresses are different from the TG582n.
When you think you have it set right, go back to connection to the TG582n - Repair/Re-establish your network connection and then login to the TG582n. Go to the Internet box and click Disconnect. When it shows that the PPP session is Disconnected, then you can unplug it from the modem and computer.
Then you can Connect up the N600, don't forget to Repair/Re-establish your computer Network connection again (reboot the computer if need be). If you set it up right, you should be able to login to it and click Connect if need be and/or just enter your Broadband username@plusdsl.net and broadband password.
Always click Disconnect to drop the PPP session before disconnecting or powering off a Router as otherwise you may have an 8 minute wait at the moment for the stale PPPoE session to time out.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

With the  DGND3700 connected the via its WAN port to the BT modem, login to the 3700  GUI and run the Setup Wizard ( page 42 ). This SHOULD autodetect the internet connection and ask fro you PlsuNet username/password ( the same ones you used for ADSL ). If that doesn't work then rerun the setup wizard and select 'I want to configure the router myself' , goto the WAN setup ( page 46 ) and select the WAN port in the WAN preference drop down ( the manual I've downloaded doesnt show the exact option but I hope its obvious ). The go to the InterNet basic settings and select Requires login and enter your username / password.
I cant see anywhere where you select pppoe so I hope it defaults to that.
Post back with how that goes and/or any more questions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

Thank you. I will try that and update (providing I can get on-line)  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

You can always put the TG582n back on Grin    But don't forget to Disconnect the PPP session before powering off the Router otherwise you may have an 8 minute wait.  And by the way, don't go powering off or rebooting the Modem. Fibre DLM can be very aggressive.
bazzer
Pro

Thanks. I need some preparation to take all this in!  Cheesy
bazzer
Pro

Incidentally, when the engineer was here he tested the line speed and got 67mbps down and 20mbps up. I've tested it myself via the BT Wholesale site and it's quoting 11.32mbps down and 16.34mbps up?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

it's quoting 11.32mbps down

Is that the actual download speed or the IP Profile ?
If its the download speed and the Profile is higher then it sounds like your Plusnet profile hasn't caught up with the change to Fibre and is still at your ADSL value.
I'm sure one of the DC team will fix that shortly...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

I think you're right as it is the same download speed I was receiving under ADSL.
I'm just looking at the WAN Prefence drop-dow box for my Netgear router. They show as Auto-Detect / Must Use DSL WAN / Must Use Ethernet WAN
Which should I select?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Must Use Ethernet WAN

bazzer
Pro

Thanks.
With regards to Repair/Re-establish my computer network connection how do I do this?
Forgive the simpleness of my queries but I have little experience in this area.
Anotherone
Champion

Not forgetting to login to the Router you are about to remove and click Disconnect if you are connecting the new one to the modem, otherwise just connect the Computer to the other Router and reboot the computer is the simplest thing.
If you are using Windows then either Open Network Connections via the control panel and, or if you have the Network Icon in your Tray, and then right click it and select Repair ( I think that's right for all Windows OSes).