cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Broadband - Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem

bazzer
Pro

Fibre Broadband - Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem

Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem if I upgrade to Fibre Broadband?
It's a BT line version - not cable.
Also, has anyone noticed that the availability checker does not work? Well, it doesn't work for me. When I enter my land line number and postcode it just tells me the product I currently have and not those that I can switch to.
Thanks for your help.
36 REPLIES 36
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Fibre Broadband - Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem

Can I Use My Netgear N600 Modem if I upgrade to Fibre Broadband?

If it's this one http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/dgnd3700.aspx#two then yes, it has a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As far as I can tell the one in the link is for ADSL2+ not vDSL, so if you actually meant the Modem rather than the Router part, MisterW made an error probably thinking you meant the Router part.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: bazzer
Also, has anyone noticed that the availability checker does not work? Well, it doesn't work for me. When I enter my land line number and postcode it just tells me the product I currently have and not those that I can switch to.
Thanks for your help.

Odd
I though the line checker against a phone number was the "definitive" answer about what services were available on your line.
How do you know that you can upgrade to fibre on your line? - ie what was your source of info that you could upgrade and that FTTC is indeed available to you.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As far as I can tell the one in the link is for ADSL2+ not vDSL, so if you actually meant the Modem rather than the Router part, MisterW made an error probably thinking you meant the Router part.
Yes, I assumed the OP meant could the N600 be connected to the BT supplied FTTC modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

Thanks for the replies.
I didn't realise I would need two modems / routers. So my N600 will connect to the BT supplied modem.
With regards to the availability of Fibre, I received an email from Plusnet informing me that I could upgrade to Fibre. That's where I got the info from and not via the availability checker which is not working for me.
jim:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I didn't realise I would need two modems / routers.
Fibre(FTTC) uses VDSL rather than ADSL. BT(Openreach) supply a VDSL modem when they do the installation and you need to connect a roouter to it using an Ethernet cable.
So my N600 will connect to the BT supplied modem.
Just double check that yours actually has a WAN Ethernet port as shown in my link.

bazzer
Pro

The link you provided shows the exact router I have.
My router has a spare port at the bottom labelled Cable / Fibre.
Thanks for your help.
bazzer
Pro

Quote from: bazzer
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't realise I would need two modems / routers. So my N600 will connect to the BT supplied modem.
With regards to the availability of Fibre, I received an email from Plusnet informing me that I could upgrade to Fibre. That's where I got the info from and not via the availability checker which is not working for me.
Out of interest what was modified and why? It looks like the original post I submitted.
Anotherone
Champion

You "quoted " the immediately preceding post in full in your reply, apart from not being necessary - just use the Reply button below the last post, or the Quick Reply box - it does make reading threads more difficult, and is not allowed as explained in the Forum Rules
Edit: update link
bazzer
Pro

I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Anotherone
Champion

No problem, it's not the crime of the century Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not only isn't it the crime of the century it is also, by far, the most common Moderator action so don't worry  Grin
One question though - can you advise why you didn't click on the link explaining the transgression
This isn't a dig at you as other have done, or rather not done, the same and I wonder if we need to think about rewording it or making it more prominent
bazzer
Pro

Hi Oldjim,
I did click on the link but to be honest I didn't have the time to read through the extensive list of forum rules.
As a suggestion is it possible to direct the link to the actual rule that has been violated?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Good point - I thought it did
Will fix it
Done