cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre BT Modem wifi Hotspot?

OldRhino

Fibre BT Modem wifi Hotspot?

Thinking of get fibre but see that you get BT Openreach modem etc, does this mean that the BT modem will set up a BT wifi hotspot for others to use free but as i would be Plusnet customer i could not access this or other BTFon Hotspots.
If so does anyone know if you can disable this via router/modem settings and or how much bandwith is given over to it as would seem kinda wrong to use my bandwith to provide others with free wifi that i cant use elsewhere.
5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fibre BT Modem wifi Hotspot?

Nope to get that you need to be a BT customer not a PN customer. The modem comes from Openreach (yet another part of BT)
OldRhino

OK well that answers the easiest part of question, so we cant use wifi hotspots,  but does anyone know if the openreach modem supplied still sets up wifi hotspot for other BT customers to use? and if anyone has this router can they look at settings to see if can be disabled? & what bandwith are we giving up for something we cant benefit from?
Wulfy
Grafter

You kinda answerd your own question, the openreach modem is exactly that... a modem all it does is establishes a connection outbound to the pn gateways nothing more no routing no wifi built in etc
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Only if you bought a previously used BT Homehub (router) for use on your Plusnet connection would there be any risk of it broadcasting as a WiFi hotspot. The third paragraph (in italics) in this Community Support Library article explains how to ensure that is turned off for use with Plusnet.
As others have said the Fibre modem provided by Openreach only provides the wired connection to the cabinet over your copper telephone line, and to your Ethernet router, it has no WiFi capability.
David
OldRhino

Ok thanks guys.