Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre 20mbps drop, now ping up to 40 from 20...help

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre 20mbps drop, now ping up to 40 from 20...help

I'd be surprised if your actual sync speeds had dropped to 1Mb/s, We'll get your connection checked over tomorrow and if you could let us know how it is we'll go from there.
It actually sounds more like an issue we're seeing http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html
Which gateway are you currently on? http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
If you're still seeing bad ping times and low speeds it might be worth trying to disconnect/reconnect onto a different gateway.
Philmo999
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
I'd be surprised if your actual sync speeds had dropped to 1Mb/s, We'll get your connection checked over tomorrow and if you could let us know how it is we'll go from there.
It actually sounds more like an issue we're seeing http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html
If you're still seeing bad ping times and low speeds it might be worth trying to disconnect/reconnect onto a different gateway.

Thanks, since my last post I have just done another BT wholesale test, and have sent it to you. This was much better at 38down and 8up, still not 49 though.
On my last call to your offices I was also told for some reason my connection was capped at 42mbps, if this is the case can you please remove this restriction - not sure why it has been applied.
I will do the gatway test and advise.
Philmo999
Grafter

I have done the gateway test - and got the following result:
You are currently connected to the gateway known as ptn-ag04. This is located in Telehouse North.
Does that narrow out the Gateway issue ?.
I will test again in the morning and see how things are.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd guess that this reference to your connection being capped at 42Mbps was incorrect terminology referring to your Current Line speed (Login required). This is designed to track the Downstream BT IP profile.
If you run the BTw Diagnostic Speedtest (as per my reply #5) you'll see that it states the IP Profile for the Line  (you can copy and paste the results in a forum post).
The IP profile is directly related to the sync speed (on Fibre sync speed = Profile x1.033). If you have a dropping connection, if your sync speed gets lower, the IP profile goes down with it and so does the Current Line Speed. When the sync speed goes up again, so should the Current Line speed. Unfortunately the "Delta" report that BT's automatic systems send to Plusnet's system don't get sent in a timely manner, so the Current Line speed can lag and can limit the speed until it catches up.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've checked your connection and your sync speed didn't drop down to 1Mb/s, how is it at the moment?
Philmo999
Grafter

I've checked your connection and your sync speed didn't drop down to 1Mb/s, how is it at the moment?

Sorry, not sure I understand your message - if sync speed relates to actual speed when I called last night - which I think was around 8:00 to 9:00 the speed was just getting to 1Mb/s.
Your colleague advised this was not showing at your end.
I sent an updated BT Wholesale test this morning - and it was running at around 40Mb/s and 8 up I recall. Which is ok. Last night your colleague also mentioned a cap of 42 - if so can this please be removed without danger ?.
The BT engineer did advise as I have mentioned earlier that as he was able to test 51Mb/s from the modem, and that any lower speed I was getting was due to internal issues which one must assume is the router or its settings. I am nervous to get another BT engineer out in case I lose what I have.
A reminder previous got 49Mb/s without issue.
Can you please check if there is a cap in place for either up or down.
I will send you another test tonight.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've noticed a 42mb connection profile set on our systems I've updated that for you so let us know if that leads to any improvement.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Philmo999
Grafter

Many thanks, I will check this evening.
adie:quote
Philmo999
Grafter

Have done a BT test at home, all seems ok. Got steady 48mbs down, 6 up (not key - but maybe should be higher?).
Sent test to PN.
Any feedback on upspeed? Not crucial though.
Thanks for everyones help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There is no point in "sending a test to PN", you are better off posting it here in the forum then which ever member of the DCT is reviewing posts will easily see it. Plusnet Faults agents have automatic access to the last BT speedtest you run through their systems anyway as the result is recorded on a BTw server.
Also by posting here, other forum members may be able to answer some queries saving the time of a DCT member.
Philmo999
Grafter

Well that told me!, will post later. Simple question though - can PN please check to see if my Upload is resticted in any way (thanks),and is there any reason why UP speed seems higher on Wireless than Lan?.
Thanks again.
adie:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your upload is currently syncing at 10.9Mb/s our faults team are picking your ticket up today.
Philmo999
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Chris.
Latest speed test test does show 49 down / 9 up, which is fine - I can live with that. Unless you think anything needs tweaking, would hate any change to affect good connection I have now got.
Ok to let it be, have lots of work to do this weekend online - so just cannot have anything done to affect connection.
All help and replies appreciated.
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Philmo999
So after the engineer finished - he tested 47mbps at the modem with his test equiptment (I used to get 49 so that would of been ok). I while he was here still only got 29 on Lan connection - so BT man suggested likely that issue is internal between modem to router or to PC (surely cannot be PC as signal issues on all devices).
That was at 5:30.
At 8:30 guess what, struggled to get 1mbps !, spoke to PN - and will try to have someone look at in the morning. I was suggested would it hurt if turned off the modem & router, this did get some speed back.
It is now varyiong between 9 and 35. Better than 1, but clearly something is not right. Ping is consistently 45 or above, used to be mid 20's.
Could it be the router (Technicolour one).
Or should I allow a time for it to settle down ?.
Tempted to say leave it alone now, but feel as I had months of 49 lan connection - should get back there.
Will see how things are in the morning.

Hi,
If you were to come across this again, would you be able to run a few checks?

• Firstly a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run further diagnostic after the test has completed

• Check which gateway you're on at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

• Run a pingpath command, to run the pingpath command you'd need to open a command prompt and type the following, 'pathping ntp.plus.net -q 50'

If you could post the results that would be great.
Thanks,
Chris
Philmo999
Grafter

Quote from: Philmo999
So after the engineer finished - he tested 47mbps at the modem with his test equiptment (I used to get 49 so that would of been ok). I while he was here still only got 29 on Lan connection - so BT man suggested likely that issue is internal between modem to router or to PC (surely cannot be PC as signal issues on all devices).
That was at 5:30.
At 8:30 guess what, struggled to get 1mbps !, spoke to PN - and will try to have someone look at in the morning. I was suggested would it hurt if turned off the modem & router, this did get some speed back.
It is now varyiong between 9 and 35. Better than 1, but clearly something is not right. Ping is consistently 45 or above, used to be mid 20's.
I will do, again thanks for your help.
Could it be the router (Technicolour one).
Or should I allow a time for it to settle down ?.
Tempted to say leave it alone now, but feel as I had months of 49 lan connection - should get back there.
Will see how things are in the morning.

Hi,
If you were to come across this again, would you be able to run a few checks?

• Firstly a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run further diagnostic after the test has completed

• Check which gateway you're on at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

• Run a pingpath command, to run the pingpath command you'd need to open a command prompt and type the following, 'pathping ntp.plus.net -q 50'

If you could post the results that would be great.
Thanks,
Chris