cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber with no phone.

MadDragon
Grafter

Fiber with no phone.

Hi all. My phone line died a month or two ago, which left my internet going at a snail's pace, as well as disconnecting me loads. Basically theres no dial tone and when someone tries ringing, it says it's engaged. I decided to wait until fiber optic finally came to my area, so then I could get that instead and do away with my rubbish phone line, which has been nothing but trouble for years.
I checked the BT site on the off chance (it's been saying I'd have to wait until the 31st of March) and it says I can finally get fiber!
Only problem is it also says that when installing I have to have a phone line... I did a little bit of research and some people said thats a BT thing and thats not the case for some companies. So my question is, do I need a working phone line to get plusnet's version of fiber?  Undecided
Also if the answer is I don't need a working phone line, can I just get rid of it after having fiber installed? BT is charging me around £45 each bill with 0 calls being made.  Shocked
Thanks  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fiber with no phone.

If it is FTTC (cabinet) you can get, the last section of the connection is supplied on the copper phone line, so a PSTN line is a requirement.
If you are in one of the few places that can get FTTP (premises) then you don't need a phone line and can cancel the line with BT, although if you are in a contract you may have to pay up any remaining months.
If you can only get FTTC then you need to ring BT and get your line fixed before you consider ordering FTTC. You can report your fault on-line if you don't wish to speak to BT.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Also, don't forget that you can use any "telephone service provider", so can pick the lowest "line rental" that you consider comes with acceptable support. Payment of "one year in advance" usually gives a discount on monthly/quarterly payments (if you are prepared to be "tied in").
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
MadDragon
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I don't know what type of fiber it'd be. Also I'v tried the BT line test a number of times (just tried it again) and I always get an all-clear result, saying "The problem is likely to be in your property and could be an equipment problem that you can solve yourself." It's nothing my end because it was working fine until a storm one day, and I'v tried a different router, filter, the test socket (that socket behind the faceplate), haven't tried another phone because I only have 1, but I can't see it being the phone's fault beings I never have it plugged in unless I need to use it, and my internet is still messed up.  Sad
Also my neighbour's phone apparently is playing up too. I was hoping he'd ring them up, but it's not looking like he will, and he's a strange bloke, so I don't talk to him.
I'v tried a few times clicking on the thing to book a visit from BT, but it takes me to a page saying something along the lines of "we can't test your line". Which is why I just gave up with them and was waiting for fiber, thinking that I wouldn't need my rubbish phone line then...
Does it have to be BT who fixes the problem, or could I like sign up for plusnet's phone thing and have plusnet sort out the line?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Your problem is with the phone not broadband and as you use BT for the phone they need to sort it.
What you need to do is to plug a corded phone into the test socket without the router and see if you have a dial tone.
Can you borrow another phone and check with that
If that also doesn't work you need to advise the exact problem to BT as it sounds as though one of the two wires to your property has broken which would stop the phone working but the broadband can continue albeit very slowly
MadDragon
Grafter

I'm not a people person, so I don't know anyone with a phone that I can borrow. And I don't have a mobile to ring up BT either.  Sad But I'v tried a few times before, testing the phone with nothing else plugged in, and get no tone.
The problem you decribe does sound likely whats happened. My internet goes super slow and has dsl errors whenever the weather even slightly plays up.
As for using BT for the phone, couldn't I change it to plusnet and have plusnet sort it out? (I don't know how these things work, so sorry if it's a stupid question). Plusnet is a lot more helpful at sorting out problems than BT, which is why I changed my broadband. (beings I don't use the phone, I didn't see the point changing that at the time).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes you could
MadDragon
Grafter

Ah, thats great news! Would I need to select the broadband package I have at the moment and then add the phone package, then when thats all up and running select the fiber+ phone package?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just select no change for your current broadband package and you should also select line rental saver (12 months in advance if you intend to stay) although that may need to be done after the line transfers to Plusnet
MadDragon
Grafter

Ok, thanks for the help.  Smiley