cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber - moving modem and router. Is there a preferred sequence to turn both off?

alex971

Fiber - moving modem and router. Is there a preferred sequence to turn both off?

Hi
I'd like to move the modem and router to a better ventilated area to prevent them getting too hot with the warm weather.
Is there a specific sequence I should follow to turn them off? e.g. first turn off the router and then the modem (to me this is the most sensible way).
I remember reading (either online or on a manual) to always keep both modem and router on at all the time as switching them off will effect speed performance because the exchange will think my line has got a problem. 
Or alternatively should I keep both where they currently are as turning both off will cause more problem with my connection speed?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alex

4 REPLIES 4
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Fiber - moving modem and router. Is there a preferred sequence to turn both off?

The best sequence is to login to the router and make it disconnect the WAN,  then turn off and move both the router and modem.
Power the modem up first,  and wait for the DSL light,  then power up the router.
As a one off,  turning them both off and moving them shouldn't cause any problems.
It's doing it repeatedly that could lead to reduced bandwidth, as it looks like an unstable line.
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Fiber - moving modem and router. Is there a preferred sequence to turn both off?

Due to electrical problems yesterday my modem and router were rebooted 5 times in the space of 6 hours. Each reboot resulted in a new IP address.
Touch wood, no effect on speed!  Cool
Geoff,
York.
kmilburn
Grafter

I've got my modem and router on an UPS to avoid such problems, last December it came in useful when power was off for a couple of hours!
alex971

Excellent. Thank you.
Alex