cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Optic question

Stylin
Grafter

Fiber Optic question

i live 0.1 miles from my  local exchange and i cannot get fiber optic.
i have a friend who lives 0.4 miles away from the local exchange and they  can get fiber optic.
why is this?  Shocked
3 REPLIES 3
Kevin
Rising Star

Re: Fiber Optic question

He is probably on a street cabinet, and you may have a direct connection to the exchange. Or if you have a cabinet, it may have not been fibred yet.
Kevin.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Stylin,
As Kevin mentions fibre availability depends on both the exchange and cabinet being upgraded rather than it being dependent on distance from the exchange alone.

Fibre roll-outs are often phased when carried out so you may hopefully find that this changes in future, with that in mind I'd keep checking this every few weeks:
http://dslchecker.bt.com/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
xreyuk
Grafter

My parents are in a similar situation to you. They are connected directly to the exchange, not to a street cabinet, because the exchange is at the end of their road.
There has been talk of BT installing cabinets outside of the exchange, and moving people onto those to allow them to take up FTTC. However, it'll be a while before this happens.
They are not allowed to put FTTC equipment in the exchange because it produces large amounts of crosstalk and would affect other people.