cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibe Difficulties

camhusmj38

Fibe Difficulties

Hello,
My fibre was installed last Wednesday. I was estimated 54 mbps but am only getting 18.55. The connection is stable at the speed and there are no disconnections that I did not initiate myself. I'm just wondering what's wrong? The engineer who visited (was not from BTOR but from Kelly communications) did not really talk to me. He did not replace the faceplate but plugged the BT modem into an ADSl microfilter that was already there. I wonder if that's what's causing the trouble?
If anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sunil Joshi
6 REPLIES 6
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibe Difficulties

Hi camhusmj38,
I've checked over your connection and it there's certainly something not correct.
Could you run through our faults troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net and we'll pick that up from there.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

He did not replace the faceplate but plugged the BT modem into an ADSl microfilter that was already there.
That's not correct, he should have replaced the faceplate.
Do you have any extension sockets and is everything plugged into them via a filter ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

camhusmj38

Thank you both for your assistance.
I tested the service in the Test Socket and got a slight improvement. Apparently, the fact that it's running through the ADSL filter limits the speed to 24mbpits.
I spoke to the plusnet phone service and they agreed that he should have replaced the faceplate.
They will make an appointment for a new engineer to come out and fix it.
I think BT needs to have better control over their engineers.
Thanks,
Sunil
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Apparently, the fact that it's running through the ADSL filter limits the speed to 24mbpits.
I don't where you got that information but it's rubbish!. An ADSL filter will not, in itself, limit the speed on the VDSL(FTTC) connection although it may have a small effect. Your speed is more likely to be being affected by the fact that your extension wiring is not being filtered because the correct faceplate was not fitted.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

camhusmj38

Quote from: MisterW
An ADSL filter will not, in itself, limit the speed on the VDSL(FTTC) connection although it may have a small effect. Your speed is more likely to be being affected by the fact that your extension wiring is not being filtered because the correct faceplate was not fitted.

It was a suggestion given to me by the Plusnet technical support guy, which I parroted unthinkingly.
In any case, I hope the installation of the correct faceplate will fix all my problems.
My thanks,
Sunil
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've got your raised fault and will pick this up to arrange getting your faceplate replaced. Our faults team will be in-touch.