Did you mean: 

Few days of very slow connection ADSL

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Few days of very slow connection ADSL

@greygit wrote:

@adamwalker 

Pure speculation on my part, but my perception is that the software/firmware managing DLM has recently become overly 'sensitive'. I've other (connected) hypotheses.

'Pure speculation' is exactly the correct term, as otherwise, everyone would be complaining of falling speeds.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1

Yes, it was off premises.

Chatted to advisor this afternoon.

Reset didn't work.

Line checked.

I didn't really understand the technicals but, FYI, this back on ticket:

---------

Escalated fault.

Problem Explanation: [ND05] Unable to obtain Sync. DSL Layer Failure
Problem description:DCN on line

---------

Waiting to see what comes of this. Estimated time 72 hours.

Have to say - got thru very quickly, guy sorted it all very quickly. Friendly, efficient.

Hope for best.

@adamwalker 

jab1
Legend

@IanSn Sorry for the late reply - got taken out to a meal.

From that cryptic message, it sounds like there is a fault within the BT/OR network which means your line is not synchronising properly - you obviously have some sync, otherwise yo would not be posting on here, but there is a disconnection somewhere in the network causing a problem.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1 

Hope you enjoyed your evening. Been a while since anyone took me out for a meal!

Slower and slower here. Wobbly moment trying to pay the electric bill earlier. Finally went thru. Don't know what exactly caused that but its a reminder that internet should be properly and importantly regarded as a utility like water or electric - we can't do without it these days.

Still waiting on a response.

ian

jab1
Legend

yep, nice evening, thanks - although we did get a little wet. 😀

Unfortunately, the internet - unless you have Full Fibre (Fibre To The Premises), it is a bodge job - the telephone network was never designed as a data service - it can handle voice OK, but the added stresses of data cause most of the failures.

Keep your eyes on it - if it isn't fixed by Friday AM, raise a stink.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1  Sorry to bother you again. This is more a curiosity than a question so its not urgent or anything, don't worry if you're busy.

Given what's been happening recently - I found a speed test from 13 June. (I was trying to sort out problems with VPN (which I've all but given up on now.)) Does this seem a little excessive to you? Still trying to understand all this but could a profile like that cause problems?

AdvancedTest13jun2022.PNG

ian

jab1
Legend

I don't quite understand what you mean by a little excessive - that result looks suspicious. The download, if the test was conducted over ethernet looks low (and I would say even if over Wi-Fi, if on a reasonably new machine), but the upload is impossible on ADSL - max on that is 1.2Mb/s.

Your profile on there looks spot on for your attenuation - the results don't.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1 Right, thanks. I thought 19+ seemed unlikely on this ADSL line - normally (past 10 years) the top rate for me was 17+ and I never got that much. But yes, the upload was v strange. This was just after the engineer did something to the card at the exchange (and I don't really know what that was).

I sent this test to the VPN people, perhaps they were suspicious, too! I was getting 3Mbps when connected thru them. Don't use it now.

I'd love to have FTTP but this isn't my property. The phone isn't in my name, I just pay for BB on someone else's line. It would be complicated, to say the least, to alter that arrangement now given that phone/internet only come as a bundle these days. My contract with PN is ancient! (Was on Pipex before that...)

jab1
Legend

OK Ian. Personally, I just think that was a rogue BTW speed test, both figures fail to match what I would expect.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Yes, looks like it was. Interesting to hear you think 19+ was ok tho. I'll hope for that!

Anyway, that was then. I'm waiting for current result now. I'll post on here when something happens.

thanks, ian

dyha5b
Grafter

Hi Ian

what software/app are you running to diagnose the issue and to get the technical data from the line ?

Been having majpr issues all year with our broadband - PN told me we had over a dozen line resets on Sunday/Monday but when Openreach came they couldn't find any issues with the line. Possibly router issue was the comment

download is about 6mbps and upload 0.6mbps

thanks Robin

jab1
Legend

@dyha5b You really should start your own topic if you have problems. It may seem 'the same', but piggybacking/thread hijacking is somewhat against forum etiquette, and PN forum rules.

If you read this topic, it should be clear where the information has been obtained from.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

@jab1 

@adamwalker 

Curious. What exactly was it that was tested to report the problem fixed?

PN-closedQuestion19aug2022.png

advspeedtest19aug2022.png

speedtestPN19aug2022.png

1 - Product name:     Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:     N7200111B002752
3 - Firmware version:     7.275.17_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version:     F@ST2704N
5 - Mode     ADSL
6 - Uptime:     1 days 12:06:10
7 - Data rate:     994/3071    
8 - Maximum data rate:     1224/22440
9 - Noise margin:     8.4/33.1    
10 - Line attenuation:     8.0/15.5    
12 - Data sent/received:     130.6M/4.0G    
20 - Broadband username:    
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:     PLUSNET-
22 - Wi-Fi connections:     Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled    
23 - Wi-Fi security:     WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel:     Automatic (Smart Wireless)    
25 - Firewall:     Default

Because I just tested it and it aint fixed...

iansn

jab1
Legend

@IanSn This is clearly not fixed . Your speeds as reported in that BTW test show you are nowhere near your lines capabilities, and the D/S SNR is climbing where it should be falling - for your connection, I would expect to see that figure read ~6dB. The ping time is also excessive, I would again expect it to be considerably lower - possibly in the high teens/low twenties.

PLUSNET need to revisit this - again.

@adamwalker A GEA test result would be interesting.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@IanSn  do you by any chance have a fixed/static IP?

If so it may be a PN profile that needs tweaking.